Laptop and self powered external drives at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Laptop and self powered external drives

I'm having an issue with my external hard drive with my laptop. The laptop is new Averatec and the external drive is a new Lacie 2.5" rugged drive that runs off usb power.

The first problem is it only works on 1 or 2 usb ports on the laptop, the others ones I'm pretty sure are not supplying enough power to operate the drive. So is this normal problem that laptops have?

The second issue I'm thinking could also be power related or just a slow usp laptop bus. Its very slow, starts out 30-16mbs then can go as low as 6mbs. Note I'm copying a few large video files not a million little ones.

This is the first time I've used a usb powered drive and a pc laptop for video work so I want to know is what I'm experiencing normal if not what should I do.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; November 30th, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If my laptop did anything like that, I'd take it back. I've had numerous PC based laptops and none have ever done anything like you describe.
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Looks like I'll be calling tech support
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I always carry a usb power booster cable just for what you are experiencing... this cable will work with any external USB drive.

you can get one at

Welcome to Western Digital US Online Store
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC