DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   VOB files in premiere cs4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/468676-vob-files-premiere-cs4.html)

Thanushan Kanagaratnam November 30th, 2009 09:35 PM

VOB files in premiere cs4

i been trying to import and edit .vob file for my friend for 4 hours now with no luck.
have anyone experienced this? is there any guide for this.....thank you guys

Battle Vaughan November 30th, 2009 09:45 PM

Try converting with mpegStreamclip (excellent freeware) Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows, you will need Quicktime installed as well to make it work.../Battle Vaughan

(BTW, and this may not work, it tickles my memory that someone imported by changing the file extension to .mpg....vob is a particular kind of mpeg....unable a present to test this before recommending, but might be worth a try....)

Thanushan Kanagaratnam November 30th, 2009 10:06 PM

I'll try this program... i tried change the file extension but the audio is messed up. thanks for your help i'll let you know if the program works....thanks again

Martin Chab December 1st, 2009 04:55 AM

it is very simple. Change the extension to mpg and open it. It should work without any problem.

Harm Millaard December 1st, 2009 05:11 AM

Unless the DVD was made without adhering strictly to the specs (PR is not lenient for anything not meeting specs) or the VOB files contain multi-angle, strange subtitles, non-approved sound tracks, etc. In all those cases you are out of luck. For sound you may get by if you demux first and then convert the audio to PCM/WAV.

Thanushan Kanagaratnam December 1st, 2009 07:08 AM

i tried changing the extension but i am losing the audio. The dic was finalized from the camcorder (sony dcr-dvd305). i just converted the .vob file into .mpg from intervideo windvd but i havn't tried importing to premiere yet. i am at work i'll let you guys know...
thanks for your replies

Battle Vaughan December 1st, 2009 10:48 AM

You can use mpegStreamclip to demux and convert the audio, as Harm suggests, and import it separately as a .wav or whatever. /BV

Thanushan Kanagaratnam December 1st, 2009 04:22 PM

Battle Vaughan; thanks alot...it works finally!!! thanks alot guys

John Hewat December 3rd, 2009 06:50 PM

Would this also work for a Blu-Ray rip?

Some Blu Ray rips just go straight into Premiere and some don't - I just get audio, no video.

Might this program be the solution?

Battle Vaughan December 3rd, 2009 10:18 PM

Generally, when you get audio and no video --or vice-versa --- the cause is a missing codec.
PPro has export support for H264 bluray and MPEG2 bluray (what the difference is between those codecs and the regular versions I have't a clue) so presumably would recognize files in those formats. If you have a bluray that Premiere has no video codec for, it won't be able to play the video, although it apparently has whatever codec made the audio stream. / Battle Vaughan

PS I have never tried to rip a blu-ray. mpegStreamclip does a fine job on .vob files from DVD's, and lots of other conversions as well. It is an excellent free program, couldn't hurt to try it and see.../bv