VOB files in premiere cs4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1
New Boot

VOB files in premiere cs4

i been trying to import and edit .vob file for my friend for 4 hours now with no luck.
have anyone experienced this? is there any guide for this.....thank you guys
Thanushan Kanagaratnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Try converting with mpegStreamclip (excellent freeware) Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows, you will need Quicktime installed as well to make it work.../Battle Vaughan

(BTW, and this may not work, it tickles my memory that someone imported by changing the file extension to .mpg....vob is a particular kind of mpeg....unable a present to test this before recommending, but might be worth a try....)
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3
New Boot

I'll try this program... i tried change the file extension but the audio is messed up. thanks for your help i'll let you know if the program works....thanks again
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

it is very simple. Change the extension to mpg and open it. It should work without any problem.
Martin Chab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Trustee

Unless the DVD was made without adhering strictly to the specs (PR is not lenient for anything not meeting specs) or the VOB files contain multi-angle, strange subtitles, non-approved sound tracks, etc. In all those cases you are out of luck. For sound you may get by if you demux first and then convert the audio to PCM/WAV.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM   #6
New Boot

i tried changing the extension but i am losing the audio. The dic was finalized from the camcorder (sony dcr-dvd305). i just converted the .vob file into .mpg from intervideo windvd but i havn't tried importing to premiere yet. i am at work i'll let you guys know...
thanks for your replies
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Trustee

You can use mpegStreamclip to demux and convert the audio, as Harm suggests, and import it separately as a .wav or whatever. /BV
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM   #8
New Boot

Battle Vaughan; thanks alot...it works finally!!! thanks alot guys
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Major Player

Would this also work for a Blu-Ray rip?

Some Blu Ray rips just go straight into Premiere and some don't - I just get audio, no video.

Might this program be the solution?
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Trustee

Generally, when you get audio and no video --or vice-versa --- the cause is a missing codec.
PPro has export support for H264 bluray and MPEG2 bluray (what the difference is between those codecs and the regular versions I have't a clue) so presumably would recognize files in those formats. If you have a bluray that Premiere has no video codec for, it won't be able to play the video, although it apparently has whatever codec made the audio stream. / Battle Vaughan

PS I have never tried to rip a blu-ray. mpegStreamclip does a fine job on .vob files from DVD's, and lots of other conversions as well. It is an excellent free program, couldn't hurt to try it and see.../bv

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; December 3rd, 2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC