Help with Motherboard Upgrade - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Not sure. I always use Newegg.com, as they have a better selection and better prices. As far as studio monitors, which ones are you looking at? I am pretty happy with my KRK studio monitors and they were $300 for the pair. I use them for editing, as I find them much better than computer speakers that are geared towards gaming and such.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:01 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Forget BestBuy, they have a very limited range of parts, specializing more in product than parts.

Frys is a good store with a very good selection of parts, but their prices are not competitive in most cases, I have a local store here, and so far I have found almost nothing that would beat Newegg's prices (plus I pay no taxes if purchasing from Newegg, and shipping is, for the most part, free). Even Microcenter (a mile away from Frys) has better prices and a very good selection - the only store I know of that sells the i7 920 for only $200.

Overall, no one beats Newegg... OK, maybe B&H does in some cases, but again, their selection is also reduced. One thing is for sure, it does pay to shop around! I saved almost $500 on an i7/920-based machine originally specked at over $2K.
Old April 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I ended up getting a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L from Frys. So far it's very stable. I'll give it a few more days to test, and then try to get a refund from Biostar. I'm not happy with their tech support either. They gave me the run around and didn't want to face the fact that the problem was most likely their board, and that's what it ended up being. If I can't get a refund I'll rma and put it on ebay.

I usually get everything from newegg too although I look at monoprice first to see if they have what I need, but this time I needed to buy locally. Since I live in CA I have to pay tax with Newegg. Also, because of potential dead pixels I don't buy LCDs online either. I got a pretty good deal on the monitor I'm using now from Costco.

Craig as far as the monitors go I've heard Adam A7s are good. I also heard they lack a bit in the low end and I will need good low end, but I think someone said that's just due to accuracy. I'll have to do a shootout but I'll probably look for recommendations that compete against the Adams. I have heard Dynaudios and I liked those. As far as KRK goes I might get a sub because their prices are competitive, but I've done shootouts in the past and I think I passed on the KRKs for some reason. That was several years ago though and I'm not sure what all is out there in the world of monitors.
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Major Player

David, - Re monitors, if you want good accurate bass, DON'T use a sub for video monitoring - too many variables. Just two good monitors with tweeters at ear level facing you and angled as necessary. A simple 6" two way with dome tweeters is the way to go.

If you feel the bass is a bit light then just give a touch of LF lift in your amp.
Trust me !!

RonC.
Check out my site: audiosoundlabs.com
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC