CRT monitor for color correction - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Oh, sorry for the confusion. Now I see :) I still use the cable that I have, but from there to the monitor I need RCA to BNC. Now it dawned on me :))) Thank you
Raymond Jebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #47
Inner Circle

The small rectangular connector is not firewire, it's a Canon proprietary connector. On the other end of your cable you have standard RCA male connectors.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Connect your camera to the computer via your firewire cable.

2. Connect the proprietary video cable into the appropriate connector on the camera.

3. Buy three "RCA female to BNC male adapters" from Radioshack or similar store and connect your cable with those adapters to the monitor video inputs - top left three BNC female inputs marked RGB "in" on the picture.

4. For audio, you probably don't have line out from the camera, just headphones, and that will only yield low quality audio, so you're better off using your computer audio.

I hope this helps,
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Two, you may need terminators. Hard to tell from the picture, but some newer monitors have automatic termination others have a switch, others need external termination. Hard to believe that it would need external terminators but it is possible.
I don't know if you even saw this, but disregard. I looked up in the manual--it has auto-termination.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
I don't know if you even saw this, but disregard. I looked up in the manual--it has auto-termination.
Hi Andy, thank you!
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
The small rectangular connector is not firewire, it's a Canon proprietary connector. On the other end of your cable you have standard RCA male connectors.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Connect your camera to the computer via your firewire cable.

2. Connect the proprietary video cable into the appropriate connector on the camera.

3. Buy three "RCA female to BNC male adapters" from Radioshack or similar store and connect your cable with those adapters to the monitor video inputs - top left three BNC female inputs marked RGB "in" on the picture.

4. For audio, you probably don't have line out from the camera, just headphones, and that will only yield low quality audio, so you're better off using your computer audio.

I hope this helps,

Thank you. I just went to Radio Schack and got the connectors. Will test everything in the evening!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help!
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Just hooked up the monitor and it works! What a relief. But I can only see picture from my camera, either in play or VTR mode, but I can't figure out how to send image from Final Cut. I thought I could select the monitor from VIEW> then either VIDEO PLAYBACK or EXTERNAL VIDEO, but I don't think I can do it from there. Can anyone help? Sorry
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #52
Regular Crew

I just saw some options in my Final Cut.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...7at82728PM.png

I am selecting NTSC and the picture quality seems really very low. Seems very interlaced, a bit blocky (not sue if this is a correct expression) - quite pixelated... Am I doing something wrong?

Also, it seems that as soon as I select the monitor my big LCD (DIGITAL CINEMA DESKTOP PREVIEW) doesn't show the preview anymore. So it's either the CRT monitor or I have to switch back to the LCD and loose the CRT. Is that how it works?

On my Canon HV20 I selected 480i component out.

P.S. Just tried to play back form timeline and the play back is not possible. It's like a freeze frame on the CRT monitor, even though the timeline keeps playing (very very choppy) and the image doesn't change...
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #53
Major Player

It's probably because you have chosen DVCPRO, you should chose FIREWIRE NTSC, your Canon cannot display DVCPRO signals

That should exhibit correct playback qualities, ASSUMING you are on a DV NTSC encoded timeline.

As far as I know you can't monitor your footage out of the camera in HD, as it will only accept a firewire DV NTSC signal across the output. If you set up your machine so that it playbacks on DV NTSC I am not 100% sure whether you will have to be working on an SD/DV native timeline to be able to get realtime playback in Final Cut.

Also, yes, you can only EITHER Digital Cinema Desktop Preview or monitor through an external source, you can't do both at the same time.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
It's probably because you have chosen DVCPRO, you should chose FIREWIRE NTSC, your Canon cannot display DVCPRO signals

That should exhibit correct playback qualities, ASSUMING you are on a DV NTSC encoded timeline.

As far as I know you can't monitor your footage out of the camera in HD, as it will only accept a firewire DV NTSC signal across the output. If you set up your machine so that it playbacks on DV NTSC I am not 100% sure whether you will have to be working on an SD/DV native timeline to be able to get realtime playback in Final Cut.

Also, yes, you can only EITHER Digital Cinema Desktop Preview or monitor through an external source, you can't do both at the same time.
Hi Craig, my timeline is HD, 720P and 1080P. Probably that's why. I only selected DVCPRO after I had a problem with regular DV NTSC. So it's the same situation across all options. Honestly, I don't care if I can't play back in real time my footage, but at least if I can get real colors on one frame at at time that's OK for me. But, with the image being so blocky and pixelated and also interlaced looking I'm not sure if I'm even getting a good image...

I wonder if Perrone was CC-ing HD timeline when he said that he has a CRT monitor connected to a deck for color correction?
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #55
Regular Crew

If i put the camera in the REC mode, it shows a really nice quality picture, huge differnce between what's coming from FINAL CUT and what the camera sees in REC mode.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Jebb View Post
I wonder if Perrone was CC-ing HD timeline when he said that he has a CRT monitor connected to a deck for color correction?
Yep, I was. Firewire from computer to deck. Component / S-Video from deck to monitor.
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #57
Regular Crew

And you don't have a problem with playback Perrone? Maybe, because you have a deck?
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Jebb View Post
And you don't have a problem with playback Perrone? Maybe, because you have a deck?
I'm not on a Mac.
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #59
Major Player

I know After Effects/Premiere handles this differently, as in After Effects I know you can choose to output to DV from non SD timelines, haven't used premiere for this sort of thing... Other editors like Vegas might somehow work around this (doing a realtime software output?)

What sort of quality do you get when working on a new sequence, with DV footage on a DV timeline.

Getting that working would be the first step, as that should definitely work.
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
I know After Effects/Premiere handles this differently, as in After Effects I know you can choose to output to DV from non SD timelines, haven't used premiere for this sort of thing... Other editors like Vegas might somehow work around this (doing a realtime software output?)

What sort of quality do you get when working on a new sequence, with DV footage on a DV timeline.

Getting that working would be the first step, as that should definitely work.

Hi Craig, I haven't worked with regular DV footage. I don't think I have DV. I can shoot some regular DV footage on HV20 and see how it works. Thanks for the tip about After Effetcs.
Raymond Jebb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC