Interlacing artifacts and capturing problem! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 6th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Interlacing artifacts only on some players?

I'm running PP 1.5 and I'm trying to capture video from my vx2100... the vid looks great in the preview of the capturing utility, but once it's captured, every program on my computer (including pp) plays it back with interlace artifacts and completely unsaturated. I could understand if it was consistently the same, but why is the preview so much better!?

Update: Capturing w/ Movie Maker in DV-AVI gets me perfect results -- as long as I play it IN movie maker!

Playing it on my cheap NTSC monitor yields the exact colors seen in PP but no more interlacing artifacts... is it just Movie Maker and the capture utility that have some sort of "enhancing" filter or codec? They both look like WMP w/ "use overlays" set to "on."

Last edited by Alex Barabas; July 6th, 2005 at 12:53 AM.
Alex Barabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Is this interlaced footage? What were your settings for the video tape... normal shutter speed and such?
In the Premiere playback setting is fields set to lower?
Unsaturated sounds like pal ntsc problem, what format are you recording in?
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Baker
Is this interlaced footage? What were your settings for the video tape... normal shutter speed and such?
In the Premiere playback setting is fields set to lower?
Unsaturated sounds like pal ntsc problem, what format are you recording in?
Everything is NTSC

Footage was done at 1/1000 shutter speed... and yes, it is interlaced footage from a VX2100.

Playback is set to lower.

I think it's unsaturated compared to how WMP and Movie Maker play them... they've got some weird filters on those programs that "enhance" playback for the average consumer. So I guess the footage in PP is actually properly saturated and the others are OVER saturated. I'm going to have to uninstall all that default windows garbage that came on here.

Also -- might be a stupid question, but after I hook up a tv/monitor to the s-video out on my 6800GT, how do I get JUST the video to preview on the tv and not the whole computer screen?
Alex Barabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

wow that is a fast shutter speed. I always use 1/60 if I can. But it should still play fine on an interlaced monitor.
I use the S-video out from my camcorder for previewing with the firewire conection engaged in Premeire and that just shows the video. I also have a DV storm card so I don't usually try to do the video out from my video card. Your ati settings screen might have an overlay option that just ouputs the video...
Has anyone elese had issues with 1/1000 on progessive playback?
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Baker
wow that is a fast shutter speed. I always use 1/60 if I can. But it should still play fine on an interlaced monitor.
I use the S-video out from my camcorder for previewing with the firewire conection engaged in Premeire and that just shows the video. I also have a DV storm card so I don't usually try to do the video out from my video card. Your ati settings screen might have an overlay option that just ouputs the video...
Has anyone elese had issues with 1/1000 on progessive playback?
I think my nvidia card will only output the whole desktop through the s-video... forget that... I'll pass it through firewire to my cam and then composite to a small tv... I just want to see it to confirm the colors... and I'm sticking with my 6800GT that's modified into a Quadro FX4000 (best open gl for the price!). What about wear and tear on these cameras? I'm paranoid of just having it sit there for hours while I edit and preview. I wish there was a way of just running it from the s-video on my vid card!
Alex Barabas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC