Premiere Pro CS4 Audio Overlap Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 17th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro CS4 Audio Overlap Issues

Hi all,

Ok so I am editing my audio in Premiere Pro CS4. When i edited several clips in soundbooth I now cant layer or straddle an audio transition over 2 clips it will only go on either side of the clip. I don't know how to correct this because it has never done it before.

As you can see from the photo there is a small handle thing preventing me from overlapping the 2 audio clips with a say a constant power transition?

How do i fix this because im not going to red edit this whole wedding all over again Ive spent to many hours on it!!!

It needs to be fixed cuz the audio just doesn't sound good when transitioning from one clip to another... You will also notice that the unedited audio to the left is a blue ish color and the soundbooth edited audio is green....

any help?

thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Premiere Pro CS4 Audio Overlap Issues-premiere.gif  
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You need to have some extra media ("handles") at each end of the audio clip to achieve the overlap. Double-click the audio clip so it opens in the Source panel. If the in and out points are the same as the actual start and end of the media, you can't crossfade/dissolve/overlap.

If you used "Edit in Soundbooth" from your original timeline, it's possible Soundbooth only exported the portion that was on the timeline rather than the whole clip. That could be the reason for the issue you are having.
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote: Soundbooth only exported the portion that was on the timeline rather than the whole clip - because the in and out points are the same as the actual start and end of the media, you can't crossfade/dissolve/overlap

This is exactly the problem. I think you'll need to re-pull that clip into your timeline from the project bin so that it has it's original audio and work from there....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Jason, put the clips on different tracks, overlap them and use a fade out on one and fade up on the other. It's a bit long winded but works if you haven't got the extra footage.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Peter - I don't think this will work in this case, as the clips are exactly the length they appear to be on the screen. Unlike normal chopped up clips, there isn't any audio before the start of the display on screen. Usually, the clip length on screen is the edited length version, so you can drag a handle and uncover some more of the file. If you've gone into soundbooth and back at some point you may well have accidentally trimmed it to the screen length.

To check, edit the clip in soundbooth again - and while in there, check if there is any audio to the left and right of the obvious track.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC