Ok to leave external HD on? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 2nd, 2002, 01:24 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Ok to leave external HD on?

I have an external 80 gig LaCie Firewire drive, and I was wondering if it's okay to leave it turned on perpetually. I always forget to turn it on when I'm about to start editing a project whose media is stored on said drive, and I'm quite sick of the error messages. Also, the extensive mouse clicking required to make the computer permit me to turn off the drive is annoying.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 07:16 AM   #2

LOL

Sorry, Josh, you're post caught me funny.

That's why they make Post-It Notes! And stop complaining about clicking the mouse. If you're like me, that's the most exercise you'll get all day! ;o)
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:35 AM   #3

doesn't hurt anything...caveat:
1. it occupies the 1394 bus with handshaking...not really a problem
2. it adds hours to your hard drive, their lifetime is rather limited.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 06:45 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

Limited? AAAHHHHH! So one day I'll turn it on and it'll just say "f*ck you" and my media will be lost forever?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 06:54 PM   #5
Rextilleon

Yeah, thats one of my few complaints with external firewire HD's---the one's I have don't have an on off switch----
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 07:14 PM   #6
Warden

This is an age old question. Is it better to turn off the drive or leave it on? Truthfully there is no answer. The camp is equally divided.

Bill puts forth one argument. The other side is that the constant heating up and cooling down causes components to fail.

I guess my take on it is Murphy's Law. Your hard drive will fail when the most important and least repairable data is on it. Empty hard drives never fail. They always wait until just before you're scheduled to back them up.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 07:22 PM   #7

Jeff...
LOL....actually there a reason:
when data is stored on the HD, the magnetic media molecules(MMM for short) are aligned to counter the earth's magnetosphere, resulting in more torque needed to drive the platter, resulting in more heat generation, resulting in earlier motor failure...

see, anything can be explained without the use of Murphy's...<vbg>

all kidding aside...I leave my computer at work on 24x7...it's been running for 2 years steady...keep hoping it will die so I can get a new one.....but, the damn thing just keeps on ticking...ticking...ticking. I turn my computer at home off when I'm finished...and it has yet to fail...so, throw the dice and place your bets, folks.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 07:43 PM   #8
Warden

Oh yah, right, Bill. Everybody knows it's increased sunspot activity that causes hard drives to fail. Or it's their power supplies, Dylithium Crystals, fail.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 12:29 AM   #9
Slash Rules!

According to entropy, it's easier for stuff to screw up then to work correctly. So I'll just bite the bullet and allot 30 additional seconds of my busy day to turning on and off the drive. Thanks for the help.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC