how to do this in Premiere ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how to do this in Premiere ?

Hey,
I used to tape my weddings with my Canon XHA1 on minidv.
When I captured it, I would have it captured as 1 file.
Then in Premiere CS4, I just opened that file and went through it.
When I found a piece I liked, I used the set-in & out point and I dragged that
piece onto my timelime.
Now I'm using Canon 7D which makes all seperate files instead of 1 big file as with the XHA1.
Is there a way I can achieve the same workflow instead of opening each file seperately and scroll through it ?

Thanks guys !
Bart Wierzbicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #2
New Boot

Hi Bart!

There is no workflow to do that the exact same way (cutting pieces in the clip monitorand dropping to timeline). AFAIK...

What you can do is simply select all the files from the project window and drop them in a sequence/timeline, then go watching and trimming them as you go, deleting/ripple-deleting the clips yo don't want, or simply putting your selected clips in an upper track. I would do that with a full single clip as well, so is no really different.

If you want to treat all the material as 1 single clip (for example for applyng an effect), you do the same, then create a new sequence/timeline and drop the first one as clip there... Just drag and drop from the project window. It is what is usually called nesting.

I use a mix of both drop-all-togheter and clip-by-clip trimming method, depending on the material, or every single clip's interest or value.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!
Federico Palma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Just to add onto what Federico said, you can drag all the clips into one sequence, and name it "All Footage" or something like that. Then create a new sequence where you want to place your clips in. You can then open your "All Footage" sequence in your preview monitor and will in effect be scrubbing through all of your individual clips as if they were one clip. You can set your in and out points and edit just as if it was one file.

You may experience some performance decrease though because you will be using a nested sequence instead of directly importing the footage.

Hope that helps.
Ben Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Trustee

Select all from library and drag it on to the timeline.
IMO, you shouldn't edit h.264 footage this way anyway. It's worse than HDV. Better to use the Source Monitor to view and select.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC