Netbook editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM   #1
New Boot

Netbook editing

Hey
Just wondering if anybody has any experience of editing on a netbook. I.e. What software have you run, how does it run, what were you able to do etc.
Just any advice really.

Thanks.
Aaron Breslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't know that I'd even attempt to edit video on a netbook with anything other than Vegas. I think anything else will simply not scale its resource usage down enough...

...and I'm guessing even Vegas might not run on any but the beefiest of the lot.

Keep in mind that the lack of display resources will be one of the larger issues. The processor and RAM may be the smaller of a myriad of issues involved in trying to do this.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:45 AM   #3
New Boot

yeah I realise there's a myriad of reasons not to even try to edit on a netbook. Just wondering if anybody has tried and what their experience was.

I would never expect it to be able to handle anything remotely high end, but just wondering if it's possible to do simple cuts in dv or something similar.
Aaron Breslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have done that... what I did was using the proxy editing method or bait-n-switch method. I convert all the HQ footage to LQ. Edit with all the LQ resolution file. They won't take up much processing power so even a cheap Atom CPU can handle it. Once I got the draft done, I reopen the project file in my desktop and point to the original HQ file for export.

Proxy Video Editing / Bait-n-Switch Video Editing Method | L.A. Color Blog
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Trustee

I started editing DV footage on a 500MHz Pentium III with probably no more than 128MB of RAM. I think I was using Vegas 3 on that system.

Considering the Atom processor is about equivalent to a Pentium III-M with the same clock speed, today's netbooks would blow away that system I had in 2002-2003.

So yes, you'd be able to edit SD footage just fine, but you may have to dig up an older version of Vegas.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC