Best Laptop for editing (specific models in mind)? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 31st, 2005, 01:10 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Travis
Besides, I wouldn't even be able to edit with out it. I tried to do a quick capture and edit in the field once with just my notebook and it wouldn't even capture the video smoothly and I had a gig of RAM at the time. The external HD is a necessity.
i once captured an hour of dv video to my fujitsu laptop, with no dropped frames, and it only has a 5400 rpm internal drive... i have also successfully captured video to it when it had a 4200 rpm internal drive, never a dropped frame.

let's be clear that you don't need much ram to capture dv video... you could probably do it with 256k of ram, and the right hard drive.

all that was with winxp home, scenealyzer, and less than a gig of ram, but i had first disabled all the background garbage that comes with factory computers and win o.s. installs... ymmv, and i understand that most people would rather just edit video than horse around with having to learn how to clean up a computer to make it run right.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC