i7 won't uninstall Premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 28th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Major Player

i7 won't uninstall Premiere

Hi all,

I've had a couple of wrecked weeks lately, after buyuing CS4, I tried upping my old PC's Ram. Which it later blew out & crashed. So I get a new computer, which has Windows 7. I needed a DVD burned asap and couldn't learn CS4 editing & Encore in enough time, so I installed my old Premiere 1.5 & burned it. Surprisingly 1.5 worked on it.

Anyway, now I need it gone. When I use dynamic link it seems to default to 1.5 & start to bring it up. I really have no need for it, and tried to uninstall it by the (add/remove programs method), though i7 seems to have a new style to it. But it doesn't work. When I click on 1/5 & select "Uninstall" it brings up the installation screen asking to install it!

Does anyone know any other method of uninstalling software from a computer? Any software programs for that? (free ones preferably, but I'd be willing to pay I suppose it's really frustrating as is)
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Ive seen a similar message when uninstalling other apps,

though with XP Pro and not on an i7.

In those cases, I've just clicked 'Next' or 'Proceed', or whatever would advance to the next step. The software ends up being uninstalled anyway.

Have you tried that?
What do you do when the question appears: do you click 'Cancel' or proceed?
Try it and see what happens. I suspect the worst might be that you then get a message telling you that the app is already installed.

Let us know what happens.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Delete the old folders and reinstall. It's the cleanest method.
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm no long-time NLE software pro.

But anytime I'm dealing with larger pieces of software, I *never* uninstall. I just revert to a full partition back up.

And if that means I need to revert to an older backup, and then reinstall other software that I need, I'll do it.

I'd recommend to keep incremental images of your OS partition after every single software install:

XP
XP + Backup Program
XP + Backup Program + Service Packs
XP + Backup Program + Service Packs + Productivity Software 1

etc.
Fitz Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Trustee

why do you do that fitz? how does it help as opposed to uninstalling?
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Registry entries. Hidden folders.

It might sounds like voodoo, but Windows tends to go to crap over time. I end up doing fresh installs once a year, at least.

Like Norton's infamously difficult uninstalls (at least, how they used to be. I haven't used them in years - for that reason!!)

Just a best practice sort of thing. And if you have a truly incremental backup scheme, it makes it much easier to troubleshoot, especially between updates of OS and software, or different versions, etc.
Fitz Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks. Makes sense.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC