My "New" PC Build - comments? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #16
Inner Circle

As already suggested, other than adding RAM, you're pretty much maxed out.

What I would look into, if I was limited to this hardware, would be another software. Adobe CS3 will not do a good job editing AVCHD - you might be able to play back in real time your footage on the timeline, but probably only without any effects. Once you apply effects, there will be no more real time playback.

Not sure what else is available out there, but for $200 you can pick up Edius Neo, and for the casual editor that will provide everything needed, including some phenomenal optimizations for AVCHD. Go download the trial and see for yourself.

Others might be able to suggest other programs as well.

I hope this helps,
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
No, its not a worthy upgrade, go for an i5 750 then if your on a budget. thats what i have. but i'm putting together an i7 system next week. I do 3D so i need firepower.
Getting a core 2 quad is not a prudent investment at this time since it won't future proof you.
Unfortunately, an upgrade to an i5 will also require a new motherboard and new DDR3 RAM. And due to the lack of HyperThreading the i5-750 or i5-760 will be slower than any i7 in video editing especially in software that thrives with more threads (although an i5-750 will be somewhat faster than a Core 2 Quad at the same clock speed).

And not all i7 systems are equal. In fact, an i7-8xx system on Socket LGA1156 with a P55 chipset is lackluster at best even when highly overclocked because of its limited memory and DMI/QPI bandwidth.

Finally, I would not recommend any more RAM on the OP's current system. This is because the cheapest worthwhile 4GB dual-channel DDR2 memory kits are now more expensive than many of the good-quality 4GB DDR3-1333 dual-channel memory kits. That alone makes upgrading RAM on an older DDR2 system uneconomical.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Save your money now and move to a nice Core i7 or i9 system in a year or so.
This is starting to seem like my best choice. To completely upgrade my set up will be just under $500, which isn't bad. Later this year I'm sure that number will drop significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
John, if you have a custom built PC, then go for the Q8300 however, Microcenter has the Q9300 or Q9400 for only $20-30 more. Then add a $40-50 heatsink, and you can overclock the CPU to 3.4GHz very easily as long as your ram is fast enough.
Thanks Steve great website! I have a big Thermaltake heatsink so that should keep me cool. However looks like they only offer in-store pickup for processors : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
As already suggested, other than adding RAM, you're pretty much maxed out.

What I would look into, if I was limited to this hardware, would be another software. Adobe CS3 will not do a good job editing AVCHD - you might be able to play back in real time your footage on the timeline, but probably only without any effects. Once you apply effects, there will be no more real time playback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
...I would not recommend any more RAM on the OP's current system. This is because the cheapest worthwhile 4GB dual-channel DDR2 memory kits are now more expensive than many of the good-quality 4GB DDR3-1333 dual-channel memory kits...
Going to pick up an extra 4GB of RAM. Found for $80 so that's not twisting my arm too much, made by Crucial. Right now upon playback of corrected footage [un-rendered], my RAM shows 62% and my CPU shows 82% (Windows 7 widget). This was only on a single project and playing for a few seconds so probably not the best representation of performance. But it seems my processor is more of a bottleneck than my RAM, right??

If I can find a way to get a hold of the processor from Microcenter, I may grab that. Otherwise, I'm saving for an i5 setup. Thankyou again everyone for the advice, without you I would be on a downhill course.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:10 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stakes View Post
This is starting to seem like my best choice. To completely upgrade my set up will be just under $500, which isn't bad. Later this year I'm sure that number will drop significantly.

{snip}

Going to pick up an extra 4GB of RAM. Found for $80 so that's not twisting my arm too much, made by Crucial. Right now upon playback of corrected footage [un-rendered], my RAM shows 62% and my CPU shows 82% (Windows 7 widget). This was only on a single project and playing for a few seconds so probably not the best representation of performance. But it seems my processor is more of a bottleneck than my RAM, right??

If I can find a way to get a hold of the processor from Microcenter, I may grab that. Otherwise, I'm saving for an i5 setup. Thankyou again everyone for the advice, without you I would be on a downhill course.

JS
Yes, you made the right choice given the current circumstances. Right now the price for that much DDR2 memory is as low as it will ever be for the remainder of its production life cycle because the memory manufacturers are now concentrating nearly all of their resources on DDR3 memory and future system memory technologies.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC