DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Deshaker, HD and CS5 orFCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/487280-deshaker-hd-cs5-orfcp.html)

John Cash November 10th, 2010 09:40 AM

Deshaker, HD and CS5 orFCP

Sorry , I have searched the forum and cant get a clear answer. I want to learn and use Deshaker with HD footage from a canon T2i. I have both CS5 and FCP . I would like to learn a workflow to use deshaker and VirtualDub without Sony Vegas. can someone point me in the right direction? Tutorials or a good web link.
I have a lot of learning to do
Thanks

Perrone Ford November 10th, 2010 10:11 AM

Both FCP and CS5(AE) have similar functionality built in. Why are you worried about deshaker? I haven' used Deshaker since I jumped to Avid. Same technology, works right inside the NLE. I think it's Smoothcam on FCP, but not sure what it's called in CS5.

John Cash November 10th, 2010 10:41 AM

Well, I dont like the preformance of the one in FCP, smoothcam? Horrible results so far. Maybe its a setting issue but i dont like the ammount of time it takes to analize the clips and correct, I do realize this filter runs in the background but too many work arounds.
I just got CS5 so I havent looked to see if I have the steadycam plug in or what ever they are putting in it now.
Deshaker seems to work bets for shaky footage from an RC helicopter which is a completely different movement than the jello effect from fast pans with cmos. Or so I have read, and thats why I want to give it a shot.

I am even willing to shell out the cash for stabilization software for FCP

Perrone Ford November 10th, 2010 10:51 AM

Interesting. I used deshaker for years but maybe I am just spoiled by Avid. Do you have maybe 10 seconds of a clip you could send me? I've seen some RC footage in the past and have stabilized real helicopter footage in Deshaker in the past. I'd be curious to see what Avid does with it.

John Cash November 10th, 2010 12:40 PM

I will look to see if I still have some sample clips . Im between Helicopters right now. As you can tell by my post Im upgrading everything. Camera, Heli ...well not everything. Im still using the same computer to edit. I will look when I get home. I think I may have a few shaky quicktime clips. If I could see my own Vimeo page I would direct you to the "Death of the Trex 500 Clip" . You will be able to see some very shaky footage with that. But thats not me "pro rig" for heli shooting. I was just practicing close flying that day . With very bad results

Greg Fiske November 22nd, 2010 02:01 PM

Its the rolling shutter that is the issue. Deshaker is the app to use for cmos sensors. Check out mercalli 2 for more user friendly program. For 5d mark II, I set rolling shutter in deshaker to 70%, on first pass uncheck verticle and zoom. Read the deshaker page for a good tutorial. Here is more from my notes:
---------------------------------
I have worked with DeShaker for quite some time and have found the most natural looking results are acheived when you minimize the zoom factor in the Max. Correction Limits. You can see in your video when you begin to tilt the camera up, or down the image begins to zoom in order to properly correct the video.

I updated my workflow post. Might not have been as clear as could be. This is point nr

1. Go to Windows. Install VirtualDub VirtualDub download (at SourceForge) - virtualdub.org and http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm

2. Open your clip in VirtualDub and select "Filters". Add the Deshaker filter and in the settings set "rolling shutter" @ 70% (for mkII). Tweak Pass 1 like you want it to (just leave it if you dont know yet what to do there) and run "Run video analysis pass" from the File menu. Then go to the filter settings again, select Pass 2 and make your adjustments again.

3. Save File as avi.

Make sure you set the plugin to "Pass 1" first and run the command from the file menu. It should take some rendering time. Then you'll have to go into the plugin again and can select pass 2, because now the plugin has gathered all the data it needed.

- get the the Quicktime import plugin here Index of Software
- copy Quicktime.vdplugin into the plugins32 folder
- copy Quicktime.ini into the Virtualdub program folder
- change Quicktime.ini to the following settings:

[Settings]
color=1
Mode=3
audio=0
quality=100
vtrack=1
atrack=1
gamma=2.5