DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Which graphics card for Premiere Pro Cs5 GTX 285, GTX 470 or Quatro fx 3800 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/487579-graphics-card-premiere-pro-cs5-gtx-285-gtx-470-quatro-fx-3800-a.html)

John Gerard November 16th, 2010 02:27 PM

Which graphics card for Premiere Pro Cs5 GTX 285, GTX 470 or Quatro fx 3800

Hi,
I have a similar question as a lot of you. I want to upgrade to Premiere pro CS5 from CS3. I see from Adobe's site that these three cards will work...
Quatro FX 3800
gtx 285
Gtx 470

I have read here that the GTX 285 will only accelerate the first 3 video tracks. I can't find much info. about the GTX 470 card vs the other 2 cards. How does the 470 compare? And a lot of different manufactures make these cards what manufacture are you using and what make you chose that manufacture?
I currently have the Nvidia Quatro FX 3500 card.

Thanks,

John Gerard

Pete Bauer November 16th, 2010 05:38 PM

Lengthy thread here at DVinfo where this subject is discussed every which way and will keep you completely up to date:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...-200-gpus.html

Wesley Cardone November 17th, 2010 09:43 AM

Nvidea has announced the GTX580 which means we can expect a radical price drop in the GTX470 soon, maybe next month. Maybe the GTX480, not yet CS5 certified, may become priced equal with today's GTX470 price.

Wesley Cardone December 3rd, 2010 02:14 PM

Newegg.com ran a black Friday special on the GTX470. Starting at 12:01am PDT they took orders for slightly under $200. Being on East Coast time I logged on at 4am which is 1am PDT. I wan't logging on for black Friday, just starting my activity. I saw the email with the black Friday specials and looked and saw the GTX470 at <$200. I clicked on it and the web page that came up said it was sold out. I backed up in the browser and refreshed the page and now it also said sold out.

Renat Zarbailov December 28th, 2010 01:03 AM

I am almost convinced to go with the MSI GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit GDDR5, which goes for $89.99 on newegg...

Using this card, you can unlock GPU acceleration for CS5 by following instructions from this article (Adobe Premiere CS5 Video Cards with CUDA Acceleration Mercury Playback Unlock Enable MPE Hack Mod Tip), saving a lot of money compared to buying a high-end Adobe-certified GPU.

Has anyone tried this route to get CUDA GPU acceleration in CS5?

Thanks

John Gerard December 29th, 2010 12:14 PM

Graphics card for cs5

Yes, I went with the Evga GTX 470 non over clocked version. So far it is working great I have tried it with the Evga over clocking utility and it is working great at the slightly over clocked speed. I have not tried pushing it. I did add to additional fans to suck the heat out of the case. I went with the 470 because it was on the Adobe approved certified list and I know from experience how critical it is to use only certified hardware. For me I did not want to chance it. My pws went out so I had Dell replace it, a 750w supply. I am about to do an in place upgrade to Windows 7 professional so I can access all 20GB RAM. Now I just have to get a new printer to print on my DVDs. My Epson Stylus Photo 960 is still a great printer but there are no drivers for Windows 7. Or at least I have not found any. I am looking into getting either a DVD printer or a robotic DVD copier. The robotic copiers are a bit expensive but I am thinking of getting a Blu-ray writter drive and getting one with a built in blue-ray drive will make the cost seem more reasonable. I have three DVD writter drives does any one know what software to get to use these in a duplicating type format. My current Sonic software will only allow me to record to one drive at a time. I think the built in DVD writing software in Win7 will allow me to do this by starting 3 independent tasks. I love Sonic because it has a simple interface and works great. For me as long as I stay under 7mb max creating the ISO file i get great perfect DVDs. I don't remember the last time I got a coster. My problem has always been with glitches in the play back speed. Glitchs similar to what you get when the discs get dirty.

John Gerard

Marc Brackhahn January 6th, 2011 11:03 PM

Be sure to take a look at the GTX 460 and read some reviews

Chris Duczynski January 11th, 2011 03:20 AM

Just got a 470 as well - it flies on my 12gb i7 system and because it's certified no need to hack etc.
I can't believe the difference the MPE makes on renders - would love to see what a grunty hacked and overclocked card would do!!

James Binder January 11th, 2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Brackhahn (Post 1605226)
Be sure to take a look at the GTX 460 and read some reviews

What's the difference between the GTX 460 and 470?

Renat Zarbailov January 13th, 2011 08:54 PM

I just upgraded to MSI GT240 DDR5 1GB RAM nVIDIA based card and posted a video of the speed-test... here is the post with the video link http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-line...ion-video.html

Brian Seguin January 13th, 2011 10:27 PM

Gtx 470

I had a Evga GTX 470 installed last month. It's a vast improvement over my old GeForce 9600GT. I bought it 'cuz it was the cheapest card to run with PP CS5. Had to change out power supply from 650watts to 850watts [ I also have 4 HDs 1 SSd,2 DVD drives, and a Matrox card and 16GB. All this stuff really sucks up the power]. Anyway... I FINALLY have no problems with editing. It works like I expected it to long long ago, but never did. I don't have to hit "render" every five minutes...everything is smooth...