Just a proper/strongish starter machine - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ellis View Post
I've been editing dSLR images since the first dSLR. I only use Photoshop Eliments and hope to enjoy HD video editing in the same low key way. But I don't want to do battle with large video files and I'll pay not to. I want to buy a $100 video editing software package and run it on my new computer to make simple HD home videos palletable for the regular Joe. What I am willing to do (and have just done) is spend a little cash on a computer that will do the job without putting me to sleep. Or will it do the job?

I ordered this. I'm just smart enough to add drives or switch out memory. Is my thinking ok?

Studio XPS 7100 Minitower
Phenom II X6 1075T (3.0GHz) BE
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5
12GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHz
1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
16X DVD+/-RW
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit

I'm already thinking a second hard drive is in order. I'm already thinking of bringing the memory from 12 gig up to 16. Can I stop now?
Remember, I'm just starting with a simple HD Camcorder. Who knows where you guys will take me from here.
Now with dedicated video editing 10,000 RPM SATA hard drive and bluray burner. Thanks for the input everybody.
Robert Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #17
Major Player

forgetting the disk speeds, split your project to OS/programs (including your photo and video editing programs) and your 'project' disks, IE 'where your computer outputs, renders, etc to in terms of HDD's' onto a separate disk.

using the 10K drive as the boot disk means quicker startup, but if your editing program allows it, using it as the project and scratch disk means it SHOULD render/export faster, so make your decision there depending on what your software allows and whether or not faster boot/program access times or faster edit times are worth more to you.

i use CS5 for work, so we have all Intel systems, but my home PC is an AMD Phenom x64 system that is HORRIBLY slow for video work compared to the work machines, but more than capable for what we use it for at home, and MUCH cheaper in comparison. It has an ATI 5750 1GB graphics card (ATI is anathema for CS5 lol), 8GB of RAM and 2TB of disk space that we use mostly to record and watch TV shows, edit photo's, do some (Droid/Iphone) video editing, surf the web, email, and use as a Blu Ray player. Its been more than enough since 2008, and ive used it as an emergency backup machine for 2 projects (CS5) when something tragic had happened at work.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I may never know how to compare the new PC to an i7 machine. I'm hoping the 64 bit OS, 6 cores and 12 B of RAM will move the video at least satisfactory. Even then I won't know how to compare it to an i7 machine as I've never used one before. I'll let you know my fealings on this as soon as I can put it through it's paces. I'm up at 4AM to install the new computer. I heading into the desert at 9AM to get my first footage. I still don't know a thing about editing software and my new drive and burner won't be here until next week.
As far as the new drive goes, I'm going to use it strictly for video editing/rendering. Everything else should be just fine on the 7200rpm C Drive. I purchased the 10,000 strictly for video. My thoughts are that when it gets as high as 60% capacity I'll burn off lesser projects to BluRay for archives. Who knows, maybe a raid array is in the future. I'm running out of work space.
I would love to see some of your work if it is out there someplace.
Robert Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Broadcasting LIVE from the new PC. All is well thus far.
Robert Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC