Question about mulitple video card setup? (not a which one should I buy question) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Question about mulitple video card setup? (not a which one should I buy question)

I'm blueprinting a new system for myself, and I've been out of the computer, and editing loop for more then a few years. Built many systems for use as DJ night club music systems, and only 1 editing box, back then. Any how, as I said before, I am blueprinting out a new system and I was wondering about the following.....

Is the purpose of multiple video cards simply to run multiple monitors? Or with the new GPU stuff for video editing,CS5 specifically.(At this point I don't yet know all the terminology, so I'm sorry if I am using the wrong term for something else), do multiple cards spread the work across all the cards, to allow faster work (again don't know if my terminology is correct)?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
I'm blueprinting a new system for myself, and I've been out of the computer, and editing loop for more then a few years. Built many systems for use as DJ night club music systems, and only 1 editing box, back then. Any how, as I said before, I am blueprinting out a new system and I was wondering about the following.....

Is the purpose of multiple video cards simply to run multiple monitors? Or with the new GPU stuff for video editing,CS5 specifically.(At this point I don't yet know all the terminology, so I'm sorry if I am using the wrong term for something else), do multiple cards spread the work across all the cards, to allow faster work (again don't know if my terminology is correct)?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff
Right now there is no reason to buy a second video card for video editing: Although a second video card is useful to add a second monitor if the primary video card is limited to single-monitor use, most current video cards can handle two monitors simultaneously. And Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 does not currently support more than one single GPU at all for GPU acceleration.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Randall is correct; for editing with CS5, applicable or hackable GPU's with 1GB+ of ram (MOST if not all of these cards can run 2 monitors) accelerate GPU enabled effects and speed up rendering times (export is still a matter of debate but it is minimal if at all) and enable the Mercury Playback Engine which is MUCH faster than software render alone.

You only need one CUDA/MPE enabled card to get the acceleration out of CS5; multiple cards are not supported. I doubt we will see this feature until CS6 (which is a shame, because if they could render and use graphics cards' DDR5 ram and insanely high core counts and clock speeds, we could have MUCH better performance with say 4 2GB DDR5 CUDA/Fermi cards doing the work versus even the venerable i7 980X 6 core (12 with HT enabled).
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC