Why Import into Pinnacle? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 31st, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Why Import into Pinnacle?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can anyone explain the benefit of importing files into Pinnacle? Seems like an extra unnecessary step. I have been connecting my camera to the computer, opening the H: drive on the computer (Canon hard drive), and dragging the clips I want into my timeline.

I did try importing files once, but it took a long time and my video files were in a random order which made it difficult to find the ones I was looking for quickly. My files are in nice chronological order in my H drive which makes it much easier for me to just drag them in from there and skip importing.

As a related question, does anybody know how to organize my imported files by date? I have 350 video clips spread out over a year's worth of recording that I need to burn to DVD. Like I said before, when I imported them, the files were in complete random order in my import area.
Greg Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi, Greg..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Harrison View Post
As a related question, does anybody know how to organize my imported files by date? I have 350 video clips spread out over a year's worth of recording that I need to burn to DVD. Like I said before, when I imported them, the files were in complete random order in my import area.
Can't answer your other questions, know stuff all about Pinnacle, but if the question (above) is as simple as I think it is (fat chance) the answer is equally simple.

If you have all the necessary files coralled in their own folder, simply go to the "Date Modified" heading on the file list page and keep clicking till it gives you the correct date sequence.

Job done.

Now, I just know the question and answer can't be that simple, but I live in hope!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #3
New Boot

Pinnacle editing.

Hi Greg, It sounds like you shoot and copy to dvd, if that is true, you don't need Pinnacle. If you wish to tidy up your clips or edit them for any other reason, then yes of course you would need Pinnacle. As to the order of the files, just follow Chris's advice, very straight forward. To just shoot and back up to dvd, then your doing just fine.
Peter Anastasopoulos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC