DELL Editing Workstation? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: DELL Editing Workstation?

Im in a similar boat to the OP. Currently sd, 2gb ram, quadro fx 3500 card. Going to buy hd cam and need beefier machine.

What diff is there between the xeon processor and the i7?

Also, I need to know about graphics cards. I use cs4 for premiere and after effects and photoshop. I hear that premiere doesnt support SLI or cuda., so theres no need to get a quadro or gtx 590 for example. Have I heard wrong?

My 3rd question is:
Brian Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:25 AM   #17
Regular Crew

in a word nothing.
single Xeons (W3xxx series) are the exact same thing as 900 series desktop. its marketing hype and nothing more. for that matter 5600 series Xeons same thing
only difference is support for ECC ram which you do NOT want in a workstation. (slower)

Compare Intel® Products,

Scott
ADK
Scott Chichelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Compare Intel® Products

Thanks for the link.
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chichelli View Post
in a word nothing.
single Xeons (W3xxx series) are the exact same thing as 900 series desktop. its marketing hype and nothing more. for that matter 5600 series Xeons same thing
only difference is support for ECC ram which you do NOT want in a workstation. (slower)
I am sorry to say but that comment about ECC being bad for workstations is not smart at all. When you have a 10 hr, 15 hr or 20 hr render (or even several days for 3D renders), ECC ram is a must in order to cover your a$$. With very long renders, the chance of a read or write bit error goes way up. In addition, 95% of people here only use consumer class drives which means the bit error rate is only 1x10^14 versus 1x10^15 for Enterprise SATA/SAS 7200rpm drives and 1x10^16 for 10k & 15k rpm SAS drives. A single bit error can wreck an entire render and/or corrupt files - I have seen this happen myself.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC