DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Video Card for my setup - i5, windows7 etc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/502248-video-card-my-setup-i5-windows7-etc.html)

John Stakes November 2nd, 2011 12:17 PM

Video Card for my setup - i5, windows7 etc

Hi all,

I've searched for the best video card and read through the threads, but it seems everything is so specific to the particular software version. I guess what it comes down to is that any "good" video card will work. But, I still want to know accurate information. Based on my specific build, my findings are that I should go with a GTX570. Please let me know if this is correct or point me in the right direction. (Components in the shopping cart, ready to checkout already!) Sorry if this has been covered.

Build:

Intel i5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
8GB DDR3 1600
750w PSU
CS3 master suite (may upgrade to CS4 or CS5, not sure yet - mainly AE, Premiere, Photoshop)
Windows 7 64bit
NOOOO GAMING!!

Am I right in going with the GTX570? Also, my current setup utilizes the GeForce 9800 GTX+. Should I just keep that?

Thanks in advance.

JS

Adam Gold November 2nd, 2011 01:55 PM

Re: Video Card for my setup - i5, windows7 etc

Many threads on this in the Premiere forums, which is where you should be if you are planning on using Premiere. Many recommendations on system builds from the VideoGuys there as well. Not sure why you'd even consider CS4 at this point. Based on what I've read in the other threads, I'd change virtually everything in your list.

Harm Millaard November 2nd, 2011 03:45 PM

John,

No sense in getting another video card than you have for CS3 or CS4. No sense in changing your configuration at all.

If you go for CS5+, you need a completely different machine with different specs. I suggest you go to the Adobe Premiere Pro Hardware forum and look under the Overview tab for the FAQ section and read some of the articles there. They will point you in the general direction of what to look for. Then you can post your questions either there or here.

John Stakes November 2nd, 2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1693393)
Many threads on this in the Premiere forums, which is where you should be if you are planning on using Premiere. Many recommendations on system builds from the VideoGuys there as well. Not sure why you'd even consider CS4 at this point. Based on what I've read in the other threads, I'd change virtually everything in your list.

Thanks Adam. As I said, I searched best I could for my specific setup. If I could afford a new system AND CS5, that is the route I would go. For right now, I'm stuck with my current software which is CS3...or buying old CS4 online. That's just the position I am in at the moment. Videoguys are running the 570 on their Sandy Bridge setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1693423)
John,
If you go for CS5+, you need a completely different machine with different specs. I suggest you go to the Adobe Premiere Pro Hardware forum and look under the Overview tab for the FAQ section and read some of the articles there.

Harm, what would I possibly change other than getting the i7? I've been to the forums, plenty of info on CS5 setups...I just don't have the budget for CS5 as of now.

Thanks for the help anyway guys. Guess I'm too old fashioned.

Harm Millaard November 3rd, 2011 03:53 AM

If you were to go for CS5+, I would get the i7-2600K, up the memory to 16 GB, get a nVidia GTX 560 Ti or better, an Intel 311 SSD combined with a Samsung Spinpoint F4 320 GB in SRT off the Z68 for OS & programs, and two raid0's.

John Stakes November 3rd, 2011 09:27 AM

16GB memory I can handle. I can even consider the i7, but CS5 will cost me the price of my entire system so still no option there. At the moment the i7 just isn't worth the 30% cost difference to me. You have sparked my interest though so I'll do some more research.

I already picked up an OCZ SSD for the OS. Is SRT the only benefit of running the Intel SSD?

Randall Leong November 3rd, 2011 11:07 AM

John,

The only significant problem with the i5-2500K is that it is roughly competitive with the slowest of the first-generation LGA 1366 i7-9xx CPUs (such as the i7-920 or i7-930) in terms of performance in PPro CS-anything.

On the other hand, if CS5.x is way too expensive for your budget, then you might as well not get a new discrete GPU at all for your system. Either stick with your current GeForce 9800 GTX+, or (if your monitor has HDMI capability or can use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter) eliminate the discrete graphics card entirely and use the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 that's on the i5-2500K (your Z68 mobo has an HDMI output that you can use from that integrated graphics).

John Stakes November 4th, 2011 11:11 AM

Thanks Randall.

So basically, if I can't afford CS5, I won't see the full value of the upgrade (especially in terms of the video card). I'll wait a month and re-evaluate. The main reason I was in a hurry is because my current setup has become a hindrance in my workflow. I didn't state my budget because I was sold on the new setup, but at least now I know the pluses and minuses of each build. Who knows maybe I'll catch some sales at the end of the month.

JS

John Stakes August 26th, 2012 08:29 PM

I know it's been a while, but just an update. Went with:

- CS6
- i7 2700k
- GTX 560

Couldn't be happier, thanks all.

Jeff Pulera August 28th, 2012 08:11 AM

Congrats on the new hardware. Did you activate Mercury GPU Acceleration for the GTX 560 manually? It is not automatically recognized by Premiere since the 560 is not "on the list".