Issues with Quality on Brand New Computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 16th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Issues with Quality on Brand New Computer

Hi guys,

I just go a computer upgrade to the following below:
1. Intel I7 960 3.40
2. 12 Gb Ram Corsair 1600
3. Asus AS P8z68-V-LX Motherboard
4. Asus GTX550T Graphics card 1gb.

Now the issues I am having are as follows. I am using premiere Pro cs5 and all works as it should. The only issues I am having are the fact that the quality of the video straigh off my camera is not that great.

When i watch the footage raw off the camera it seems a little great and washed out. Now my roo mmate cant tell the difference but it seems when i view the footage on this new computer in KM Player or any software it just doesnt look anywhere near as sharp as it did when i had my old duel core 4gb computer.

Would there be reason for this? I have tried the desktop settings and all that to make sure the colors are right but i am kind of disappointing that the quality looks crap on my monitor? I am running my monitor at 1920X1080.

I kept my old monitor which is a BENQ E2200HD which is about a year old. Could the monitor be affecting the quality I am seeing?

It video footage just used to be super sharp and even my Canon Point and Shoot ELPH 300 HS image quality just doesn't seem to be cutting it!

I am kind of diss pointed seeing as i spent decent money and the quality and sharpness on playback of even raw footage is not up to my standards on what my old crappy computer used to put out.

any help appreciated

Last edited by Jason Selmes; January 16th, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Issues with Quality on Brand New Computer

Have you checked the playback settings? That's the little square icon in the upper right hand corner of the Source and timeline monitors. On some computers, PPro defaults to ½ resolution for playback and pause resolution. Also, if you are shooting an interlaced format (say, 1080i), you might want to check the settings for interlacing (first fielde, second field, and both, being the options.)
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jay,

thanks for them comments. Yeah mate I check that box to play at full quality. The main issue I am finding is with RAW data outside of the editing software in windows. The footage should look sharp and crisp as it hasnt even been edited yet and is straight off the camera.

an example being i took some footage off a Point and Shoot which was raw. I tried it on 3 different players. KM Player, Windows Media Player and VLC Player. Although the footage is not horrible its not up to the standard of sharpness and crispness(if that makes sense) I used to get with my old crappy duel core processor with 4b of ram and a 256 mb graphics card.

I am kinda stumped as the footage used to look great on my old system. Now that I have had an upgrade the footage and the way either the monitor or video card is presenting it isnt anywhere near what I am used to. Has you ever experienced things like that?

Is there any special codecs I might need that is causing the issue? My room mate took a look and he said it was fine but I have used my old computer for a few years so I know what it used to look like and how sharp it was. I guress little things like this bug me :-( haha

cheers mate
Jason
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Jason,

Do you really have the i7-960 for a CPU? Or is your motherboard the Asus P8Z68-V LX? (I'm asking this because the CPU and motherboard are completely incompatible with one another due to their completely different sockets - 1366 pins for the i7-960 and 1155 pins for the P8Z68-V LX.)

You see, the i7-960 woeks only on LGA 1366 X58 chipset motherboards while the Z68 motherboard you mentioned only accepts LGA 1155 (i7-2xxx series) CPUs.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi, Jason............

Well, the monitor is out, as it's the same monitor, so no smoking gun there then.

The MB and processor, whichever one's you have, are out, else it wouldn't do anything at all.

That pretty well leaves that new Graphics card in the frame, for whatever reason.

Got the latest drivers?

All GC settings tweaked for optimal performance or best colour rendtion or...............?

Just my take with what you've said, can't see anything but the GC being the culprit, somehow.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC