Firewire options? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 1st, 2012, 05:47 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Firewire options?

Best bet is a Sager (custom gaming laptops - Welcome to Sager Notebooks) as they are one of the few with IEEE1394 on board, anymore. If you can find a laptop with a cardbus slot you can get a firewire card for it (one with the TI chips is often recommended for best compatability), and for this you might try NitroAV (Verge Labs Inc.), their cards come highly recommended.

The usb-to-firewire adapter appears to be a mythical creature, although you can find "adapter cables" on ebay, they don't. Google this and you'll find a lot of disappointed purchasers....

If you are really serious about on the road editing, the 17" Sager workstation offers the nVidia 675 graphics card and just got the 680, with 4 gb ram, but at a price. This would be a good match for Premiere cs 5 or 6 with the Mercury engine. Best wishes!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I have read that the USB to Firewire adapters do not work with camcorders/decks.
Anyone tried that route ?
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #18
Trustee

Here's what I have been able to discover, anyone with other info please jump in:

(1) The "usb to firewire" adapters don't work (but see below). There are legions of people commenting on these who are firmly disappointed in the snake-oil devices they tried.

(2) Even if they did work, most editing systems are looking for dv or hdv log-and-capture on the firewire bus and will not see a USB device in the first place.

(3) Pinnacle (in the process of being spun off by Avid, at the moment) sells an interface device which apparently works only with Pinnacle software, which, it appears, is programmed to recognize a USB signal. It purports to accept firewire, composite, and S-video and output via usb to Pinnacle version 15 editing software. Maybe so. My early experience with their products makes me wary, and at any rate, it is not compatable with my or AFAIK any other NLE, which expects to see a firewire device for capture.

Here's a link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/681351-REG/Pinnacle_8230_10068_41_Studio_Moviebox_Ultimate_Collection.html
If anybody knows of a solution -- and heaven knows, we need one --- I'd love to hear it....

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; July 7th, 2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC