Intel Quick Sync and CS 5.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Intel Quick Sync and CS 5.5

Has anyone got the intel SDK plug-in to work in ppro cs5.5? Were posts about a year ago, (CS5 era), was hoping progress had been made.

A 7 min gopro clip in Vegas to h.264 - 15 minutes
In premiere with mercury hack - about 8 minutes
In powerdirector - under 3 minutes.

Obviously, except for transcoding, powerdirector is not my choice for editing!

Thanks - and yes this is just silly amateur stuff, for the web, as regards quality...

Maybe I should trial Avid (if they have a trial? sounds like overkill - and seems like they have very few plug-ins). Most comfortable with vegas here....

Not much luck googling, most pages over a year old...
Arne Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Intel Quick Sync and CS 5.5

Unfortunately, it's still in the evaluation stage. In addition, the QuickSync plugin for Adobe Premiere supports output to only a very limited number of formats - and currently only to those formats that users of Premiere Pro generally avoid. And none of the output formats supported by the QuickSync plugin are Blu-ray or DVD compliant, which means that the resulting files will require another round of recompression if you want to author this onto disc, which totally defeats the purpose of QuickSync. Worst of all, the QuickSync plugin does not work correctly because the estimated disk space required would be far higher than the capacity of even the largest single disk unless the selected bitrate is extremely low.

And yes, QuickSync does not work on a system that requires a discrete graphics card just to even run at all (with the exception of the special circumstance mentioned later in this paragraph). Nor does it work on a system with earlier Intel HD Graphics or on any AMD CPU-based system. QuickSync only works on the second-generation Sandy Bridge CPUs - and only with the integrated HD Graphics 2000 or 3000 enabled. (This generally means that only H67 or Z68 motherboards with their own video outs can enable QuickSync. However, there are a few ultra-high-end Z68 motherboards that have absolutely no video-out-capability at all whatsoever and thus require a discrete graphics card just to even run at all. In such a case, the only way to enable QuickSync is via the Lucid Virtu software set to the d-mode - and then, there are major compatibility issues between Virtu and Premiere, especially if you are using an nVidia card that supports CUDA GPU acceleration in Premiere.)

Last edited by Randall Leong; February 28th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the exhaustive reply!

Did finally on my i7 2630qm lappie get quick-sync to work, albeit only in adobe media and not premiere! Shame, as rendering now an = .mp4 in vegas, and it takes AGES! I think my workflow has to be render out in premiere or vegas as original, then redo in e.g. quick-sync enabled programs.

Key is that you disable nvidia/cuda, enable intel quick-sync, for relevant programs, then run them. But so far quick-sync for me is a no go, very reddish cast/messed-up color, so despite 10x speedup in media encoder, a no-go. Pity!

regards,

arne
Arne Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well I finally got it to work the roundabout way, in media encoder - but not directly in premiere - but as posts on other forums have mentioned, strange reddish color-cast. So no go there. Back to the drawing board! Shame, it reallly is much much faster...
Arne Pursell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC