Questions concerning Power Director at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Questions concerning Power Director

I have been testing the trial versions of several NLEs and I have a couple of questions about Power Director 10.
1. The opening menu on the trial version does not come up at first the right way; it comes up pink and opaque. Only after hitting stop and play again will it come up as it is suppose to. Will it be that way on the normal version?
2. Once the menu is up (the monopoly type picture), it takes two or cycles of fully loading before the little icon box appears next to the word "play". Will this be the normal way of things?
3. Is there a way of saving the library from project to project, without having to start over each time downloading files for each new project?
4. I currently have an intel core i7-2700 3.5 GHz 4 core processor with Hyperthreading and Turbo boost.
I also have 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 3 hard drives, a GeGorce 220 video card, operating on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I am planning on upgrading my video card to at least a GeForce 400 series. With the current setup, and PD10, sometimes I have had trouble syncing (sp) the video and audio. Will the new video card solve this problem?

Thanks.
Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Questions concerning Power Director

Mike,

I've been using PD10 and the 2 previous versions for a few years. PD10 trial I cannot answer for since I've always upgraded. I strongly suggest that you post your questions on their forum to get answers on the trial versions. (PowerDirector (version 10))

I can answer points 3 and 4.

Point 3: PD10 does not actually "load" the files in a project. It only scans the files and stores a thumbnail of each along with the file's location. This way, one can actually edit the original source files in other apps and still have the altered file available to PD10 when required. If you change a file's location or name it will tell you so. With still images and some video clips I frequently use other apps to make changes prior to editing in PD10. It offers great flexibility for editors.

Point 4: Synching audio is a problem in many NLE. PD10 is no exception. I personally have never had any issues (I edit primarily AVC to AVC) but if you look at their forum the problem does exist and especially so when using mp3 audio.
Allen Vodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Allen. I accessed the site you provided, and am somewhat discouraged. Of course I know all NLEs have problems, and visiting such sites only amplifies that. I am beginning to have second thoughts on purchasing PD10.

Thanks again.
Mike
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Major Player

I bought PD 9 and am not so impressed. They seem to be very quick to sell UPGRADES but listed as UPDATES so you think they are free, but not so. I find this sort of thing quite annoying as well as the continual stream of other things they want to sell you. However. the biggest disappointment for me was no JKL editing, like Vegas. Once you have used JKL you really miss it as it speeds up the editing process. Also Vegas is quick to GIVE you updates when necessary.

Also, I have an earlier version of PD on another machine and cannot get rid of the thing to even upgrade it. You have to un-install before installing the new version but there is a bug in the un-install that prohibits it from uninstalling. (Never seen anything like this in ANY program before). I have written to PD about it but found them not to be very helpful. Hence I would NOT recommend it. Vegas seems to be the go and the guys on this (Vegas) forum are extremely helpful.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Agreed. Vegas is good.

BUT:

- The learning curve and ease of use for average video editors is much larger.
- The cost is much higher as well making it a non-issue for consumer level use.
Allen Vodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I think part of the learning curve with Vegas is its un-expected simplicity in some ares and that you need to translate the word, "Events" simply to "Clips. " (Why they do this is mystifying )

But even the low cost Studio version of Vegas still gives you the ease of "JKL" editing which I think is a big plus, as well as the simplicity of just sliding clips over each other at the ends to get cross fades etc. - No need to go into for menus etc. It is well worth the time to learn it and I don't think the cost of the "Studio" versions are a deterrent.

RonC.
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #7
Major Player

I like the less expensive Vegas as well, except you could not produce an AVCHD final product and burn to a DVD. That was the deciding factor for me.

Mike
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Mike, I was only mentioning the Media version of Vegas as an example for cost comparison with PD.

I myself use the pro 11 64bit version, but yes, burning DVD's are another issue. - Are you using Power Director ?

RonC.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Ron. I will be using Power Director 10 in a few days, as I ordered it a couple of days ago. If you read my other thread, you will be able to see my impressions of several cheaper NLEs. So far, I have not been able to find a perfect fit for me, just a "sorta best" fit; and that seems to be Power Director.
Old June 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, I have had my PD10 for a few weeks now, and here are my observations:

1. The problem of syncing the video and audio on longer projects is still a major problem. Any fixes?
2. When trying to burn an AVCHD DVD with a 51 minute program, PD10 rendered everything, and then burned almost the entire program, stopping just short of a completed disc. I checked the status of the DL DVD disc and saw that there was 2-3 minutes left of free space. When I tested the disc, nothing was on it. This is the first NLE that I have had this happen.

So far, those are my two biggest gripes.

What I like is:

1. Renders AVCHD quickly.
2. Produces a nice clear video picture and wonderful full sound in AVCHD.

I am sure that I will learn more pluses and minuses.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC