LTO Backup Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 28th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Major Player

LTO Backup Software

I hope this is the right forum for this, please let me know if i should post elsewhere.

I have an LTO-4 on a windows 7 system. I just need to back up from that box to tape, very simple.

Finding a reasonable cost backup software solution seems to be quite hard though. I can't use Bru PE as that's mac os/unix so what is good on the windows side. I've been warned off retrospect because of reliability issues (and in fact i've used it in the past and it did cause issues for me)

So what else is out there. Just need to write to tape and restore. Perhaps with a local catalogue of what's on there for searching offline. Future compatibility is important too.

help!
cheers
Paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: LTO Backup Software

I use Retrospect 7.7 for Windows on my Win7 64 bit Home Premium and have had no problems in several years of use. I have a Quantum HH LTO-3 deck though so cannot comment on LTO-4 decks.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Well that's a +1 for retrospect. The version i had was older, and it did something odd to the catalogues i had and i lost a SDLT via it (it wouldn't rebuild the catalogue either)

Having said that it is a newer version and fairly cost effective...

It's supposed to be a proprietary format though, so in the future you're reliant on Dantz or whichever company ends up with retrospect next.

But i'm happy to hear it's been reliable for you. It seems the easiest option - i'm just a little wary...

thanks
Paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Novastor Professional is inexpensive and reliable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC