Alternate workflows on Premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Alternate workflows on Premiere

I have one particular job that means I always shoot in SD (to take advantage of features on an older camera for a particular circumstance) but deliver the product, which often includes HD diagrams - as a 720p mp4 (using a 264 preset). This gives what appears to be the best quality image.

What I do is use a 720p 25 HD sequence preset, then scale the SD clips to fit, and scale down the larger diagrams - then use media encoder to generate the mp4.

My question is - is there a better way. The images lose quality if I edit in SD then generate the 720 from that for fairly obvious reasons - but would any of the other sequence presets be more suitable for what I'm doing. I've tried a few of the more obvious ones, but seem to come back to those in the HD folder. I'm not unhappy with the results, but just interested in if I'm missing something?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Alternate workflows on Premiere

In my opinion the only thing you are missing is shooting in 720p to begin with. If that's out of the question, then you might try to upscale your SD video with some kind of hardware like AJA or BlackMagic boards, but the result will always be inferior to first getting the material in HD.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

No sorry - I didn't explain well. The quality level I am getting is perfectly acceptable - but the method I've become used to was arrived at by accident. I was wondering if an Premiere users have found presets that work even better. To give you a guide, I used to do the project as a DV preset, then discovered the graphic elements were better on the HD 720 preset - and there was also a small gain in picture 'quality' by using the H264 preset over others in media encoder. SD is fine for the video element.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
What I do is use a 720p 25 HD sequence preset, then scale the SD clips to fit, and scale down the larger diagrams - then use media encoder to generate the mp4.

My question is - is there a better way. The images lose quality if I edit in SD then generate the 720 from that for fairly obvious reasons - but would any of the other sequence presets be more suitable for what I'm doing. ... I'm not unhappy with the results, but just interested in if I'm missing something?
No, you're not missing anything. Bu you could try taking the video into Photoshop. Photoshop CS6 can edit video too, but that's another story.

Here's a quick test. Take one frame of an SD footage with the most detail (needing the greatest resolution) and then:
1. Uprez in Premiere like you're doing right now and save that frame as a TIFF file
2. Take the SD frame into Photoshop and use the bicubic uprezzing tool. You could try three variations:
a. Uprez SD to 1080 and then downrez to 720
b. Uprez SD to 720 directly
c. Uprez SD in 10% increments to 720 - Even though this third step might seem like a lot of work you could record this in actions so it's not a big deal.
3. Save this frame as a TIFF

Look for differences in versions 1 and 3.

Here's another thing you could do:
1. Take your edit into After Effects (no transcoding involved)
2. Sharpen your footage with tools in AE - you could do the same in Photoshop if the above method works

I believe the photoshop method with sharpening will give a noticeable quality increase - so much so that you can even try that on your 720 footage and your entire project. Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC