built-in SATA RAID controller or card? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 17th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #16
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: built-in SATA RAID controller or card?

Might want to double-check that your computer box can take the heat load (fans etc) before adding the hard drives.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #17
Trustee

Thanks Andrew,
Its all good, its all there and running now, just with a cheap Adaptec raid card that i cant use on the OSX side.
I dont really need any more performance than what I have now, just the ability to use the arrays on both OS's.
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #18
Equal Opportunity Offender

Fantastic to hear. BTW, best wishes to your production manager.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #19
Trustee

Lol
Thank you
:-)
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Major Player

Depends on what you need from it; speed versus redundancy, hot swappable, etc. My machine is used primarily as a media server (everything on the on-board RAID), second as a work-at-home machine (ARECA and RAMDisk), and lastly, and very seldom, as a gaming machine.

I have 14 drives in my machine. One SSD for Boot/Installs, 8 2.5" drives on an ARECA card for media/cache/etc, 4 2.5" drives on the on-board RAID controller (for my music, movies, other programs, and misc stuff), and one 3TB internal HDD for a backup to the ARECA raid array, plus external backups.

That comes down to 4 virtual disks; the SSD and 3TB are the slowest (250MB sustained and 90MB sustained each), the ARECA is the fastest (520MB sustained in RAID5), and the on-board is mostly for my own stuff (280MB sustained), as per ATTO and other tests. I also have 24GB of RAM, so for previews and disk cache, i use a 7.5GB RAMDisk, giving me 16.5 GB for Win7 and PP or AE, which dramatically speeds up previews in short clips with complex effects or multitrack/multicam work (ad work etc).

They are all in a HAF-932 with plenty of cooling, the ARECA HDD's are in hot swappable backplane modules, all the rest are internals, spaced out, with adequate cooling.

Next machine, i will likely build with a more advanced/faster RAID controller, 2 SSD's in RAID 1, 12 full size HDD's, faster 6-core processor, and 64 or more GB of RAM, and utilize a 20-30GB RAMDisk as well, and back it all up externally.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC