Best storage solution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Best storage solution?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what everyone here uses to store all that HD video?

I currently have a Qnap NAS to store my files/docs but it's ridiculously slow and not at all ideal for video editing. So I'm thinking it's time to build some form of external RAID with USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt I/O to edit off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Best storage solution?

The only sensible and affordable solution is to use SFF-8087 cables for internal use or SFF-8088 cables for external use (SATA connections). NAS, USB3 and TB are just too slow for a raid solution.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
The only sensible and affordable solution is to use SFF-8087 cables for internal use or SFF-8088 cables for external use (SATA connections). NAS, USB3 and TB are just too slow for a raid solution.
Thanks for the tip :)

I edit to a USB 3.0 external drive currently without any problems though.

I'm more interested in what type of storage devices people use.
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Major Player

I believe Jody means long term storage, as in archiving, correct?

In that case, i use USB 2.0/3.0 externals. I have two 3TB WD MyBooks on my USB 3.0 (that refuse to operate at USB 3.0 speeds, and randomly power themselves down when they feel i dont 'need' them). Overall, i do not recommend them. They are the eco/green models. I dont like things turning themselves off; i bought them for disk imaging my RAID array (took a dump on me and have to rebuild it later) and mass storage. I would suggest NOT going with the WD MyBooks, however, as i constantly have to reboot them by pulling and plugging the power cables back in, and they don't work right with my USB 3.0 controller (NEC on an Asus Rampage III Gene).

NORMALLY i would use big internal SATA II's, but i have the internal SATA II and SATA III ports all occupied as i am dumping data onto some misc/old HDD's. I have 14 physical hard disks in my machine, and normally 4 external HDD's as well. 12 HDD's are RAID's (8 disk and 4 disk), one is SSD boot disk, one is 'safety boot/backup of SSD'.

I learned my lesson about using a RAID array for storage and work. And also learned my lesson about letting my future brother in law play with my work computer. Now my internals are all just for work, and externals just for storage.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #5
Major Player

I recommend archiving on LTO streamers. We've been using this method for about 4 years, and having several HDDs gone up in smoke, we'll never go back to HDD archive.
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
So I'm thinking it's time to build some form of external RAID with USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt I/O to edit off.
RAID isn't an archival or long-term backup solution, so I'm assuming you just want a reliable solution for current editing needs.

Make a RAID 1 array of your own, using a good hardware controller. You could even use Freenas, if your footage data rates aren't that high. A custom solution means you have lots of data that might need to be scaled to your needs. If not, nothing wrong with a G-tech RAID or this

from Buffalo.
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Trustee

Heard some really disappointing results with G-Raid recently. Lousy performance.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. I'm not really after a long-term/archiving solution at this point. I'm more looking for a device that I can directly attach to my Macbook Pro (via USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt), import all of my media to and then edit my projects from.

However there are so many devices like these on the market that I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm using a basic USB 3.0 external hard drive at the moment but it's nowhere near enough capacity. And RAID 1 would be good to have - I know it's not totally reliable but it's better than no RAID.

So if anyone could offer some advice from personal experience, that would be much appreciated :)

Thanks again.
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey Jody, I'm local to you so know the local distribs and can talk about prices if you email me (craig at afterglow.co.nz) There are a few Thunderbolt Raids which are plenty fast, but need to know what sort of formats you are most commonly working with. If you are shooting lots of RED footage or looking at uncompressed workflows in HD, your drive space and speed requirements are heaps more than if you are working with EX footage or similiar which is in he 35-50mb/s range. Also multicam calls for higher speeds. With. New Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt a hunderbolt enclosure is the fastest you can go, and things lke the Pegasus TB Raid offers impressive speeds and storage capacity. But you could also look for a raid 1 two baythunderboltenclosure with larger single drives, which in all likelihood for most uses would get you the space, speed and redundancy you need for most compressed broadcast/corporate videography orientated workflows (multicam probably being the notable exception)
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
Hey Jody, I'm local to you so know the local distribs and can talk about prices if you email me (craig at afterglow.co.nz) There are a few Thunderbolt Raids which are plenty fast, but need to know what sort of formats you are most commonly working with. If you are shooting lots of RED footage or looking at uncompressed workflows in HD, your drive space and speed requirements are heaps more than if you are working with EX footage or similiar which is in he 35-50mb/s range. Also multicam calls for higher speeds. With. New Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt a hunderbolt enclosure is the fastest you can go, and things lke the Pegasus TB Raid offers impressive speeds and storage capacity. But you could also look for a raid 1 two baythunderboltenclosure with larger single drives, which in all likelihood for most uses would get you the space, speed and redundancy you need for most compressed broadcast/corporate videography orientated workflows (multicam probably being the notable exception)
Thanks Craig.

I have looked at the Pegasus R4 before, but the Apple Store seems to be the only place that sells it, and they tend not to be the cheapest.

Do you know of any other suppliers?

Cheers.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC