DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Video Rendering Taking a Long Time (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/514282-video-rendering-taking-long-time.html)

David Humphreys February 12th, 2013 08:32 PM

Video Rendering Taking a Long Time

Hi,

I'm not sure if I've done this right, as it is my first post in DVInfo :)

Basically, when rendering full HD video, the render times are very long (45 mins for a 1 min clip)and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong!

This is my set-up >>>

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended
Pentium Dual Core E6600 3.06GHz
8GB Ram
nVidia GeForce GT 640 GPU

And these are the settings I am using to render video in Photoshop >>>

Exporting as 1080 HD Quicktime
H.264 compression - compressor quality = High
Frame rate as original
Key Frames = Auto
Data Rate = unlimited (but doesn't seem to make much difference, even if it is limited to, say, 2,000kbits/sec

I am wondering if I am doing something wrong!

Thanks,

Dave

Gerald Webb February 12th, 2013 08:56 PM

Re: Video Rendering Taking a Long Time

Uhm... are you rendering only in Photoshop, or are you mentioning that as somehow a reference to having problems rendering in Sony Vegas?
Rendering video in Photoshop is not ideal, if you have an Adobe suite of programs, try Premiere or After Effects.

David Humphreys February 13th, 2013 07:04 AM

Thanks Gerald ... I thought I was posting in a "general" post production thread ... oops!

I was rendering through photoshop, so has nothing at all to do with Sony Vegas.

I'll give Premiere a go and see what happens - thanks :)

Randall Leong February 13th, 2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Humphreys (Post 1778841)
Thanks Gerald ... I thought I was posting in a "general" post production thread ... oops!

I was rendering through photoshop, so has nothing at all to do with Sony Vegas.

I'll give Premiere a go and see what happens - thanks :)

You won't have much better luck in Premiere Pro CS5+ with that system: The CPU just barely surpasses Adobe's official minimum CPU requirements just to run Premiere at all. With such a weakling CPU and GPU, your system might end up being as much as 20 to 30 times slower than a fast i7 system.

Trevor Dennis February 13th, 2013 11:34 PM

Yep. What Randall says. Time for some new hardware if you want to enjoy your NLE experience methinks. Go check out the Premiere Pro Hardware forum to see what is realistic for H.264 with Adobe editors.

Adobe Community: Forum: Hardware Forum

Randall Leong February 14th, 2013 09:16 AM

In addition to what I stated, David, have you ever checked your system's disk setup? You see, cramming everything onto the system's single OS/programs disk will slow down your exports substantially - as much as six times slower than if the OS/programs disk and the media/project disk are completely separate.

David Humphreys February 14th, 2013 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone! You have been most helpful :)

Duane Adam February 18th, 2013 02:13 PM

I just installed cs6 and the Premiere Pro renders were painfully slow on a fast i7 system with a dedicated video drive. Updated the video card driver and it's purring now.

Ilkka Pouhakka February 26th, 2013 11:09 AM

I would also have to say that your CPU is pretty... well, outdated to current standards.
I had previously AMD Phenom 4-core CPU and I tried to render some 1080p30 h.264 video and render time was about 2 hours for a 5-15 minute video.

After upgrading to a better CPU, I have been very happy with rendering times.