New PC for...everything. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 27th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Major Player

New PC for...everything.

I am about to place an order for this lot below suggested by my local supplier for mostly editing using Vegas Pro 12 for now but that could change . Oh, I should add I'm just a 'hobbyist' videographer. What do you think? Comments most appreciated.:

Nanoxia Deep Silence DS2 Mid tower
Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler with NF-A15 PWM
Intel Haswell Core i7 4771 3.50 GHz 8MB LGA 1150
ASUS Z87-Deluxe Intel Z87 ATX Haswell LGA1150 Motherboard
ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX770 Ovreclocked 2GB GDDRS PCI-E3.0
Mushkin Blackline Frostbyte 16GB (2x8GBS DDR3-1600 CL9 (997068)
Corsair RM series RM750W Fully Modular PSU 80Plus Gold
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: New PC for...everything.

I've been told to buy a 3930k or any of the x79 platform CPU's for video editing as it requires a lot of horsepower.

However, I am doing fine with just a i7 3770k and 32gb ram and a R9 270x now.

I think video editing depends on so many factors that you can go spend a lot of money on very expensive gear, only to be crippled because of a simple setting within the program.

The setup your looking to buy looks more than capable. I would invest in 32gb ram at least though.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Even for general use you need to build your system around your NLE requirements and depending on what source material you will be handling, I have a I7 3770 with only 8gb of ram and I did not even need a separate GPU as my NLE utilizes the onboard gpu from the motherboard for fast h.264 renders, even with this limited setup avchd 50p is realtime also in a multicam setup of 2 camera with a high quality preview (which I use a lot at weddings or danceperformances), This is when you use Edius, when you use adobe that would be a total different setup you'd need to maximize performance and for vegas that yet again will be different.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCully View Post
Nanoxia Deep Silence DS2 Mid tower
Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler with NF-A15 PWM
Intel Haswell Core i7 4771 3.50 GHz 8MB LGA 1150
ASUS Z87-Deluxe Intel Z87 ATX Haswell LGA1150 Motherboard
ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX770 Ovreclocked 2GB GDDRS PCI-E3.0
Mushkin Blackline Frostbyte 16GB (2x8GBS DDR3-1600 CL9 (997068)
Corsair RM series RM750W Fully Modular PSU 80Plus Gold
Don't know anything about the case, but you might want to check that your case gives you enough room to mount that massive CPU cooler. Which IMHO is way overkill for an i7-4771 which has a TDP of only 84w. The cooler size might also interfere with memory installation on that board, IDK.

Next, check to make sure you have enough power supply for the graphics card. Power supplies run most efficiently near the middle of their rating; I suspect that this rig will be running a 750 power supply near the top of its rating much of the time. Some more headroom might be nice.

It's all about balance. No point putting Corvette tires on a VW bug, and all that.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I went with liquid cooling on my last two builds. I won't do another air cooled CPU cooler. My i7-3930k runs cool and is practically silent until I crank up the rendering. Even at full tilt it is not obtrusive. I've not seen the CPU go over 60c yet. The liquid cooler takes up a lot less space versus the CPU and puts much less stress on the motherboard.
Old February 28th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Chris, which liquid cooler do you recommend?

John, I think you have a nice system to put together. There are advantages for both the x79 and the 1150 platforms. With the latest processors you will not be left wanting with either.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Trustee

John,

While I realize this link and all the articles there are written purely from a Premiere Pro perspective, it may be informative: Tweakers Page

Another link may also be interesting: Final Results

I think the basic problem is twofold. The mid-tower case and the limited PCIe lanes on all 11xx socket motherboards.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Chris, which liquid cooler do you recommend?

John, I think you have a nice system to put together. There are advantages for both the x79 and the 1150 platforms. With the latest processors you will not be left wanting with either.
I'm using the Corsair H80 on the 3930k. I have had one problem with it I should report. The fan control failed on the unit after about 6 months of use. I moved the fans over to the CPU plug on the motherboard and kept going. I ended up liking that arrangement better anyway because with the motherboard fan control l was able to customize the fan-speed/CPU-temp relationship and make something that is totally silent when its not rendering.
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Trustee

Chris,

Do you use liquid cooling on your video card, raid controller and other additional cards too and limit yourself to SSD's only?

How do you reduce the sound of the radiator fans, which are pretty loud on the H series?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I don't have liquid cooling on the video card. The GTX670 card I am using isn't that loud. At least the Asus version I have isn't.

Moving the fan contro to the motherboard gave me more control over their speed. They are noisy when running full blast. I'm able to ramp the fans down to a very quiet level and keep the CPU temp in the 40s. When the CPU is loaded the fans will ramp up. I have the speed curve set to reach 100% when the CPU hits 70c. It never gets that warm though. Upper 50s with the fans running about 60% is where it tops out. You can hear it a that point but it is still much less obtrusive than when the fans were being controlled by the stock outputs on the H80.

I have both regular HDs and SSDs in the machine. I use the SSDs for high bitrate DNxHD or ProRes video. The regular drives are fine for compressed stuff such as XDCam or proxies (DNxHD36). The master files stay on the server to be conformed when the project is final rendered.

The RAID setup is on the server which is in another room. It is all air cooled and is quite noisy compared to the machine in the office.
Old February 28th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:11 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks folks for the input, most appreciated. I might just go with this setup. Probably overkill for what I do but what the heck; it's only money. Let's say it is my Christmas present to myself, somewhat premature but why not. I stipulated when talking to my supplier that it must be quiet and handle AVCHD files flawlessly.

And for my birthday (much later this year) I shall probably go with an FDR-AX100 next month. That should do for a bit...:-)
John McCully is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC