DUAL processors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 30th, 2002, 07:31 AM   #1
Major Player

DUAL processors

a suggested set up for an avid xpress dv3.5 based NLE system had the following specs for processor:

Dual AMD Athlon MP2000+ 1.67 GHz

my question is what exactly do they mean by "DUAL"? i entered AMD's site and found the mp2000 but no word on dual.

does it mean two seperate processors working together on the same system? if so, i would be greatful if someone would explain all the pros and cons about this sort of processor arrangement and if this is something done only with amd athlon processors or if it is also possible with intel pentium4 processors?

thanks,
adihead
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2002, 08:50 AM   #2
Trustee

The MP stands for multi processor capable. The non MP processors cannot be used in dual processor systems. I don't think there are motherboards out yet for running dual P4 chips, but there are for what Intel calls Xeon chips. Not quite the clock speeds of P4 but with the same cache and FSB speeds.

The whole idea of dual processors is to allow what is called multi-tasking. This means being able to carry out more than one task at a time. This decreases processing time and speeds up the work flow. That's the short and simple version.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2002, 12:25 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks adrian. i have another question regarding dual amd processors. i posted it as a new thread.
Adi Head is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC