ProRes 422 HQ files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ProRes 422 HQ files

Is there any possibility to work with ProRes 422 HQ files on PC? Are there any conversion softwares to convert from ProRes 422 HQ to any PC-supported format?
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: ProRes 422 HQ files

Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to play these files back without any problems. At worst, you will have to install a free codec from Apple for playback.

The difficulty comes when you want to export to that format on Windows.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My concern is related with video footages shot and recorded in external recorders connected with cinematic cameras. If I acquire ProRes 422 HQ files from the recorder into Premiere Pro CS6 running on Windows platform, would it be possible to run these files in the timeline? Does Premiere Pro accept ProRes 422 HQ files if this software is running on Windows?
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Trustee

Yes, CS6 will (through Quicktime) let you ingest pro res files and they play on the timeline. You can't export prores in Windows, export will convert to a different codec. It's a Quicktime thing, import only.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If the ProRes 422 HQ files is in 4K resolution, what preset do I have to choose at the first when launching Premiere Pro?
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #6

I run with CS6 on Windows. If you want to somehow send a 10 second sample clip, I will check for you to see if it works.

Andrew
Old November 10th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati View Post
If the ProRes 422 HQ files is in 4K resolution, what preset do I have to choose at the first when launching Premiere Pro?
I checked my answer with a downloaded sample file. I didn't see any 4K files. I don't know if 4k is supported.

However, the easy answer is, select any preset, then drag one of the clips to the timeline. If it's supported, PPro CS6 will recognize it and ask if you want to convert the sequence settings to match the clip. Easy-peasy, let Premiere do the work.....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
I run with CS6 on Windows. If you want to somehow send a 10 second sample clip, I will check for you to see if it works.

Andrew
I don't have any ProRes 422 HQ files. I will try to find it out and experiment it on Premiere Pro.
Old December 4th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Be careful. If you're editing a big project like a 40 minute TV show or a 90 minute movie, Quicktime on Windows is limited to 32bit memory limitations. Once you go over using 1GB of RAM by Quicktime, programs will throw corrupt frames or blank frames that WILL appear in your final render.

This is the one front of PC editing that has not been overcome. The problem will only get worse as more and more devices default to ProRes recording. The solution is to transcode everything, which is what the OP was asking. I'd transcode to XAVC-Intra, bearing in mind the encoding program has to be completely exited after each file is encoded. Leaving a batch to process with the QT plug-in left open after each encode will run into the same problem with running out of memory.

There is no one all and be all solution, unless you transcode everything on a Mac first to XAVC to use in Windows.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #10

Jack, I've never encountered this sort of thing, despite shooting entire conferences in the past on the Ninja and having the video saved to ProRes format by the device.

I'm guessing Apple never allowing ProRes files to be saved/exported to on Windows helped a little. :-)

Andrew
Old December 4th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Major Player

I recently edited 6 dance recital shows on a PC with CS6, using 2.5-hour 1920x1080 ProRes 422 clips from an Atomos Ninja 2 without issue. No dropped frames/glitches of any sort.

I've been using this workflow for various projects for about 3 years now. Can't speak for 4k though.

Thanks
Old December 4th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #12
Inner Circle

This could be more of an issue with 4K ProRes instead of 1080 ProRes. People are unprepared for how much power and disk space this is going to take up. I suspect a ton of 4K cameras will be sold that will end up shooting 99% 1080.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC