Quest for Editing Software w/True Storyboarding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 9th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #1
New Boot

Quest for Editing Software w/True Storyboarding

I've been a Sony Vegas Pro user since version 3.0 and overall pretty happy except for one thing: lack of a true storyboarding function within the editing software. Why modern "non-linear" editing software should be stuck with a linear device like a timeline for assembling and rearranging clips is beyond me, and frankly costs me time in the editing process. My first nonlinear system was the //Fast Video Machine, which allowed me to create subclips and happily rearrange their order in a bin before dropping them en masse onto the timeline (in Windows 95!) It worked great. The Video Toaster had a great storyboard function where the clips could be dragged all over the screen to create the finished order. Somewhere in the evolution of editing software since then, that feature got lost and I could sure use it.

I'd love to find a professional editing system that has that functionality. Repeated requests to Sony for it have been ignored. Last I saw, Premiere Pro had something marginally like that, but the rest of the interface was so clunky and non-intuitive the last I looked (CS 5.5) that I've written them off my list.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,
Alan
Alan Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Quest for Editing Software w/True Storyboarding

I use Edius as my main editor but also have Vegas and CS6. Timelines in Edius are in as many sequences as one needs and these sequences can be used as clips in yet another sequence. They can be named so may be the storyboard approach you need.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Ron. Sony Vegas has extensive nesting capability (I think that's what you're describing), but I'm looking for something lower level than that, that allows me to order the individual clips in an organic fashion before I drop them on the timeline.

- Alan
Alan Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Speededit from Newtek used to have that approach but they stopped developing it further after they released a 2.0 version and it was very pricey (If I recall right it was 1000 euro), I almost bought it when version 1 came out but I"m glad I didn't because that would have been a very bad investment. Too bad actually.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes you can organize single clips in the bins and create a story board in the bin in Edius. The order they are in the bin will decide the order they go to the timeline when moved as a whole to the timeline. You can create multiple subclips from a large clip in the player window and send to a bin then arrange as you please in a storyboard fashion as file naming or icons etc.

Ron Evans
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Lightworks has had Storyboarding for many years. The order being set by their arrangement inside a bin, you can do it by either creating a bin for purpose or by looping clips that you've arranged in the required order in an existing bin and then making an edit. You can also make a bin of the edit contents and rearrange that as a storyboard to make a new edit.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Just found this old thread while looking for something else and thought I would add a reply for anyone stills interested.

I have used Magix editing software for years recently VideoProX6 and now the new VideoProX7. One of the options is to switch between Timeline, Multi Camera or Storyboard display. The latter allows you set up a linear storyboard by dragging in any clip wherever you want as part of the story board. You can switch the view to normal timeline view as you wish to carry out normal timeline editing. You can also edit just with the storyboard by editing each clip in the clip monitor screen and also add transitions if you wish. I've found it incredibly useful to get an overall feel for a project without having to scroll along the timeline.

As a side comment, I downloaded Edius 6.5 trial with a view to changing, but although it was efficient, version 7 won't run on my system due to different CPU requirements. I still run Edius Neo from time to time, but find Neo and 6.5 lacking in many ways and being fiddly compared to Magix. Simple things like transitions, levelling wonky video, colour correction, sizing is all so much easier in Mayix. The latest upgrade also came bundled with NewBlue effects, Mercalli V4 stabilisation, an excellent music writing programme and a full audio editing programme. All of these would be paid add ones with most other video editing software. Thought I would mention it as I seem to be in a minority of one for editing with Magix :-)
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You can order the clips in the EDIUS bin and take to the timeline in that order. They can be represented by icons too so that you can see what they are too. My comment about sequences was that this approach can be done with edited timelines too.

Ron Evans
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Ron,

Yes you are quite right, that clips can be sequenced in the Edius clip bin, as they can in Magix, but that is not so convenient if you don't use icons in the bin. What I like about the Magix storyboard is that I can move them around anywhere in the storyboard whilst viewing a continuous strip and still add transitions etc. So every clip can be imported straight to the timeline, then viewed as an instant storyboard. Magix is not very popular with editors here, so it's probably irrelevant anyway. :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Magix (I think it was called video deluxe back then?) was my very first NLE 9 years ago! After that I switched to premiere pro, I think it was version 1.5, then to cs3 to eventually make the switch to edius 5 and stayed there. Switching to a new NLE is like learning to ride a bike all over, it took me along time before I got used to edius when I came from Premiere so I am not that inclined anymore to switch.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Very true Noa about reluctance to switch. I was encouraged by your's and others praise for Edius, so gave it a good try even though my system will not run the new update. I have edited two weddings and one corporate video on Edius and have got reasonably familiar with it. There are though quite a lot of areas that I feel Magix Video ProX6 was quicker and better at, plus the built in extra programmes that can be accessed from the time line. When ProX7 was offered as an upgrade with some great bundled software including NewBlue Effects Premium, it was a no brainer for me.

I'll just carry on in my own lonely world of Magix editing.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC