RGB component HD capture solution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 27th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Wrangler

RGB component HD capture solution?

Looking for a recommendation on an inexpensive capture card or USB device to capture HD video from RGB component (standard RCA connectors). Is there anything good out there?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: RGB component HD capture solution?

I used this one to record TV shows from my HD Receiver. It was OK.

HD PVR Product Description
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks, Chris. This has a hard drive in it and I can transfer an MP4 file to a PC over Ethernet?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It connects to your computer via USB and the recordings are saved on the computer's hard drive. It is only an interface device. It does do the encoding inside the adapter itself so it doesn't require a powerful computer to use it.
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks, I looked into it, and it seems like there is a version 2 of this product, the 1512. Does anyone know anything about that?

One retailer review of the 1212 noted that the 1212 "[g]enerates H.264 at Baseline Profile 1.0 only -- not the High Profile 4.1 that x264.exe-based programs generate. The Baseline H.264 quality is not as good as the High Profile quality using the same bit rate." I wonder if the 1512 is any improvement in that regard?

I notice that the 1512 doesn't have component RCA jacks on the back, but I presume that's not much of an issue.

Old June 29th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It's not much of an issue if they provide a breakout cable to attach to the RGB RCA connectors.

I think they do because they mention an adapter cable in their product description, but I didn't see any detailed description on their web site. I had one of their interface boxes once - it was OK but not amazingly great. Recording quality was just sort of OK.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Wrangler

I bought the 1512 and overall am happy with it, for the most part, for component-in capture. Captures exhibit a gradual audio sync drift, with the audio leading the video (i.e., the picture lagging the sound) which gets more noticeable with longer captures. For captures that are just a few minutes, it's not so big a deal. For 2+ hour captures, the desynchronization is on the order of several seconds and is intolerable. Apparently this is a well-known problem with no fix. The last driver update for the device was at end of 2014 and I doubt Hauppauge is going to devote too much more in the way of support resources to this product. Still, the capture software is relatively stable (it does crash, but only when you don't give it time to do its thing) and the unit doesn't overheat like some reviews report. Captures are high-quality and play back smoothly with no blips or skips. There's a several-second delay between source and real-time display on the screen, but I don't mind that since it allows me to hit the capture button as soon as the content starts without losing the beginning of the content. The pass-through delay, on the other hand, is on the order of microseconds and is not perceptible except perhaps in the most demanding of gaming applications. The pass-through picture shows no perceptible degradation in image quality.

With thanks to Chris for the heads-up.

Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC