converting audio to text - transcription software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 17th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

converting audio to text - transcription software

I've got a few hour long lectures that I need to do paper-edits before editing the video, as a means of speeding up the process. So I need to transcribe the audio into text, and I don't need 100% accuracy (but the more accurate the better).

Searching online, all I seem to be able to fine is either speech to text (I'm not dictating) or software that I would need to manually fill in the text. I want automatic transcription. I am also aware that the best way to do this is to send it to a service, but again, I don't need 100% accuracy, and also I'm looking for a cheaper option.

The best I can find is Dragon Naturally Speaking, but it seems more used for speech to text, and to use it as transcription software I've seen people suggest putting a mic up to a speaker, and that is not the solution that I'm looking for.
Denez McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: converting audio to text - transcription software

You could try uploading the audio to youtube as a video. Let youtube generate automatic captions. Then download the SRT caption file from YouTube and open it in a text editor.
Adam Bauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestion, Adam, but I am really looking for a dedicated software solution. I would prefer to not have to Mickey mouse a solution, when I will need to do this easily, quickly, and reliably.
Denez McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I know of Dragon - many doctors use it to dictate their findings.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076474-REG/nuance_k609a_g00_13_0_dragon_naturallyspeaking_premium_13.html

Last edited by Ervin Farkas; August 27th, 2015 at 06:05 PM.
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

I have another solution, but I fear it being labeled Mickey Mouse, or herky-jerky, so I will simply keep it to myself
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC