DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   what 4K monitor are you using? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/530044-what-4k-monitor-you-using.html)

Larry Secrest October 15th, 2015 09:08 AM

what 4K monitor are you using?

Just curious here, the people already working with 4K, what monitors are you using ?
4096 x 2160 or 3840 x 2160 Resolution

As I said, just curious!

Stephen Brenner October 15th, 2015 07:42 PM

Re: what 4K monitor are you using?

I'm not actually working with 4k yet, but I did hook up a Vizio M43-C1 and it seems to work ok with premiere pro and photoshop. Menus can be rather smallish.

Larry Secrest October 16th, 2015 05:52 AM

That's a TV, not a computer monitor though!

Michael Stevenson October 16th, 2015 04:30 PM

Here's a very popular professional 4K monitor:
Sony 30" PVM-X300 4K TRIMASTER Monitor PVM-X300 B&H Photo

Larry Secrest October 16th, 2015 06:51 PM

Hum, go figure, for some reason I really don't like it!

Ronald Jackson October 17th, 2015 01:35 AM

Me a reasonably cheapo 28 inch ASUS monitor (coupled to my iMac so not P.C.)

I don't like the controls, an out of sight set of little buttons below the right side of the screen. I'm no calibrator but if I was I'd maybe have chosen something different for this reason.

I'd be checking how easy/hard to calibrate if in the market for a monitor again.

Ron

David W. Jones October 17th, 2015 01:57 PM

I'm shooting 4K but the majority of my deliverables are broadcast 1080i so we are still using HD monitors being fed by Kona cards or Matrox to view footage and do color correction. At some point we will switch our preview monitors over but it is not a necessity right now for what we do.

Mike Watson October 17th, 2015 04:44 PM

I edited commercials for a TV station in HD - the edit bay was equipped with SD TVs for...two, maybe three years until we could get the cap expenditure approved to buy HD monitors (which were basically TVs, not the $20k monitor referenced in this thread). Not to say I didn't notice or that it didn't bother me, but we sure got by just fine.

Larry Secrest October 18th, 2015 06:08 AM

Thanks, so it appears that as of today most people don't really have decent 4K monitor simply because they might shoot 4K but will master in something smaller. Makes sense.

John McCully November 1st, 2015 07:13 PM

I have an Sony AX100 and a Sony A7RII on the way and they both shoot 4k (that's why I purchased them) and I have been viewing and editing using an old Dell U1024 HD monitor, maximum resolution 1920 x 1080. My video card is an Intel 4600 and struggles with 4k playing. So my next move is to upgrade the video card to 4k capabilities and at least get smooth playback of 4k on my old Dell monitor.

Any suggestions regarding a PC 4k video card most appreciated bearing in mind I'm not into gaming and I only do hobbyist editing.

Regarding the 4k monitor question I have also been researching on the Internet and while there are quite a few products available seems it is early days and quality is improving as is price.

With your permission Larry may I tack on an addition to your question: has anyone viewed side by side 4k video files on a regular common garden HD monitor versus a same size 4k monitor, and if so are we talking about a non-significant difference, a significant difference, a huge difference or perhaps a blow-me-away-wow difference?

The obvious answer is go visit a retailer and see for yourself. Easier said then done in my somewhat remote location, hence the question here.

Many thanks.

Mike Watson November 1st, 2015 10:48 PM

A critical eye will see a difference. A pixel peeper will see a huge difference. A common viewer (so, perhaps 98% of your audience) will see no difference.

A 4K TV is about $1k. A 4K monitor is about $20k. My opinion is that if you had $19,000 to improve your product, I would not suggest spending it on a monitor.

John McCully November 2nd, 2015 12:28 PM

$20k! I guess there are monitors and monitors. I was thinking something like this Dell P2715Q 27" Ultra HD 4K Monitor or this Samsung U28E590D 28" Widescreen LED Backlit UHD Monitor.

Steve Game January 23rd, 2018 08:22 AM

I'm just getting into editing 4K from a GH5.The edit workstation has a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K to which I have attached a homemade 13 inch HD monitor. Both Vegas Pro and DaVinci Resolve (free version at present) can send the video out to this monitor. It is calibrated with an x-rite i1 display pro using the opensource DisplayCAL program that can be launched from within Resolve.
The HD resolution is much better than the on-screen monitor in either editors and within reason can be useful for grading.
I was unable to find a monitor small enough to fit in the available space except for field monitors at ridiculous prices (I am retired so no income from video), and many of those are only full HD anyway. So I made one from a fullHD laptop panel and a monitor board. Total cost, about 120UKP.

Rob Cantwell January 23rd, 2018 09:39 AM

I'm using a 3840 x 2160 Resolution 40" monitor at 60Hz. A 2560 x 1600 30" stands beside it, can fit pretty much anything i need on the setup.

Mark Williams January 23rd, 2018 12:24 PM

I just got a Dell 2K monitor U2515H that I am very happy with. Huge improvement over my old 1920x1080. I also output to a HDTV via a HDspark card soon to be replaced by a 4K UHD TV and a BM 4K intensity pro card.