what 4K monitor are you using? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 15th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #1
Major Player

what 4K monitor are you using?

Just curious here, the people already working with 4K, what monitors are you using ?
4096 x 2160 or 3840 x 2160 Resolution

As I said, just curious!
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: what 4K monitor are you using?

I'm not actually working with 4k yet, but I did hook up a Vizio M43-C1 and it seems to work ok with premiere pro and photoshop. Menus can be rather smallish.

Last edited by Stephen Brenner; October 15th, 2015 at 09:04 PM.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #3
Major Player

That's a TV, not a computer monitor though!
Old October 16th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's a very popular professional 4K monitor:
Sony 30" PVM-X300 4K TRIMASTER Monitor PVM-X300 B&H Photo
Michael Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Hum, go figure, for some reason I really don't like it!
Old October 17th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Me a reasonably cheapo 28 inch ASUS monitor (coupled to my iMac so not P.C.)

I don't like the controls, an out of sight set of little buttons below the right side of the screen. I'm no calibrator but if I was I'd maybe have chosen something different for this reason.

I'd be checking how easy/hard to calibrate if in the market for a monitor again.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm shooting 4K but the majority of my deliverables are broadcast 1080i so we are still using HD monitors being fed by Kona cards or Matrox to view footage and do color correction. At some point we will switch our preview monitors over but it is not a necessity right now for what we do.
Old October 17th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Trustee

I edited commercials for a TV station in HD - the edit bay was equipped with SD TVs for...two, maybe three years until we could get the cap expenditure approved to buy HD monitors (which were basically TVs, not the $20k monitor referenced in this thread). Not to say I didn't notice or that it didn't bother me, but we sure got by just fine.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks, so it appears that as of today most people don't really have decent 4K monitor simply because they might shoot 4K but will master in something smaller. Makes sense.
Old November 1st, 2015, 07:13 PM   #10
Major Player

I have an Sony AX100 and a Sony A7RII on the way and they both shoot 4k (that's why I purchased them) and I have been viewing and editing using an old Dell U1024 HD monitor, maximum resolution 1920 x 1080. My video card is an Intel 4600 and struggles with 4k playing. So my next move is to upgrade the video card to 4k capabilities and at least get smooth playback of 4k on my old Dell monitor.

Any suggestions regarding a PC 4k video card most appreciated bearing in mind I'm not into gaming and I only do hobbyist editing.

Regarding the 4k monitor question I have also been researching on the Internet and while there are quite a few products available seems it is early days and quality is improving as is price.

With your permission Larry may I tack on an addition to your question: has anyone viewed side by side 4k video files on a regular common garden HD monitor versus a same size 4k monitor, and if so are we talking about a non-significant difference, a significant difference, a huge difference or perhaps a blow-me-away-wow difference?

The obvious answer is go visit a retailer and see for yourself. Easier said then done in my somewhat remote location, hence the question here.

Many thanks.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 10:48 PM   #11
Trustee

A critical eye will see a difference. A pixel peeper will see a huge difference. A common viewer (so, perhaps 98% of your audience) will see no difference.

A 4K TV is about $1k. A 4K monitor is about $20k. My opinion is that if you had $19,000 to improve your product, I would not suggest spending it on a monitor.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 12:28 PM   #12
Major Player

$20k! I guess there are monitors and monitors. I was thinking something like this Dell P2715Q 27" Ultra HD 4K Monitor or this Samsung U28E590D 28" Widescreen LED Backlit UHD Monitor.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:22 AM   #13
Major Player

I'm just getting into editing 4K from a GH5.The edit workstation has a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K to which I have attached a homemade 13 inch HD monitor. Both Vegas Pro and DaVinci Resolve (free version at present) can send the video out to this monitor. It is calibrated with an x-rite i1 display pro using the opensource DisplayCAL program that can be launched from within Resolve.
The HD resolution is much better than the on-screen monitor in either editors and within reason can be useful for grading.
I was unable to find a monitor small enough to fit in the available space except for field monitors at ridiculous prices (I am retired so no income from video), and many of those are only full HD anyway. So I made one from a fullHD laptop panel and a monitor board. Total cost, about 120UKP.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:39 AM   #14
Major Player

I'm using a 3840 x 2160 Resolution 40" monitor at 60Hz. A 2560 x 1600 30" stands beside it, can fit pretty much anything i need on the setup.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 12:24 PM   #15
Trustee

I just got a Dell 2K monitor U2515H that I am very happy with. Huge improvement over my old 1920x1080. I also output to a HDTV via a HDspark card soon to be replaced by a 4K UHD TV and a BM 4K intensity pro card.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC