DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   New Edit PC build feedback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/530139-new-edit-pc-build-feedback.html)

James Strange October 25th, 2015 04:08 PM

New Edit PC build feedback

Hi all, I'm putting together a new edit PC and looking for feedback from the lovely people here
(ie if you have better or more appropriate component suggestions, I'd love to here from you!)

I'll mainly be editing AVCHD 1080p (Canon C100) and 4k (Panasonic GH4) but also be processing raw timelapse footage so starting of with 1000s of raw stills, processing to 6k Cineform / prores 444)

CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 800

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K Extreme Six Core 3.5GHz [15MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz]

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X99-A Intel X99 ATX (Socket 2011-v3, 3x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2x PCI-E x1, 10x SATA 6Gb/s, SATA Express, M.2 Slot, 2x
USB3.1, 8x USB3.0, 8x USB2.0, 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX) (MOBO-X99-A)

MEMORY: 32GB Kingston DDR4 2133MHz (4x8GB) (KVR21R15S4/32)

GRAPHICS CARD: 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GDDR5 ========== Possibly 2 of them in SLI..... would that be worth it? ============

POWER SUPPLY: 700W be quiet! System Power 7 Premium Silent PSU 80+ Silver Certified

BOOT DRIVE : 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Drive ========== Possibly 2 of them in raid 0.... would that be worth it? ========

As for other HDD (media, working video files etc) config.... looking for advice on that... I was thinking either....
a) 2,3 or 4 4tb WD black in raid 0 for 8,12,16tb or total storage (fast enough as raid 0)
b) 1 (or 2 in raid 0) 1tb SSD drives for the active project(s), plus a 4tb sata to 'off load' finished projects (while still having instant access for any minor changes)
c) As option b), but instead of SSD, one of the new m.2 drives for media, but they're max 512gb.... and my average wedding that is shot with 3 GH4 in 4k comes to 350gb.... so 512gb is cutting it close. m.2 sound great, but I need A LOT of internal storage, that I can edit from....
d) Thunderbolt PCI card and thunderbolt G RAID?

With each option above, should I still have a separate drive for media cache / page file etc.... I have read (and am re reading the tweakers page about disc config, but I'd love to hear from someone who has built a machine recently for similar purposes

OS = Windows 7, 8 or 10..... currently on 7, should I just stick to 7 or get 8 (or 10!) ?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated folks

Thanks

Noa Put October 25th, 2015 04:34 PM

Re: New Edit PC build feedback

What's your editing program? You should always build your pc system around that.

James Strange October 25th, 2015 04:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Noa, Adobe CC (Premier)

Noa Put October 25th, 2015 05:18 PM

In that case I can't give you any advice as I am a edius user, sorry.

Just one remark, don't use wd black drives in a raid, they are not made for that and are known to cause raid failures. Get the red pro drives instead and get a separate raid controller.

Rob Cantwell October 25th, 2015 08:47 PM

was looking at some upgrade options for my own system, I probably need more RAM but that will entail dispensing with the current RAM because all the slots are occupied

i was looking at drives that would hold the OS and programs

Crucial CT500MX200 SSD3 MX200 mSATA Internal Solid State Drive - 500 GB - €194
or
HyperX Predator PCIe Gen2 x4 (Half Height Half Length) Internal SSD Drive - 480 GB - €472

SanDisk Ultra II SSD Sata III 2.5-inch Internal SSD - 960 GB - €310

I've already a good bit of storage that will do for te moment.

I've read complaints re Win 10 for certain operations with Premiere Pro mostly CS 6 but I'm sure it needs a bit of research before you upgrade.
I'm running Win 8.1 and find it stable enough