DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Please recommend a motherboard and video card for this mini ITX case (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/532284-please-recommend-motherboard-video-card-mini-itx-case.html)

Adi Head July 19th, 2016 02:43 PM

Please recommend a motherboard and video card for this mini ITX case

Hi. I'm building a semi-portable NLE station using this case:
SilverStone Sugo Series SG05BB-LITE Black SECC / Plastic Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case with 2 x USB3.0 ports (Black) - Newegg.com

Not super knowledgeable about computer part and would be happy to get recommendations for motherboards and video cards that would fit this case.

Regarding Motherboard:
I would want it to have at least one USB3.1 (TYPE C, 10gb/s) or Thunderbolt 3 port.

Regarding Video Card:
I'm pretty clueless. Whatever is recommended and fits in the case is fine, as long as it will do a decent job for editing in Adobe Premiere Pro.

I currently am not doing any work in 4k, though I would like to leave that option open for the future.

Please let me know if you require any further information from me.

Thanks!

Battle Vaughan July 19th, 2016 09:05 PM

Re: Please recommend a motherboard and video card for this mini ITX case

The motherboard choice will be determined by what cpu you choose. There are a number of ITX z170 boards with the lga1151 socket for the current Skylake cpus (6700K, for example). One source is Newegg, they list quite a selection. You will probably want an NVidia graphics card with 4 gb or more ram in order to utilize the Adobe Mercury engine in GPU mode. Finding one to fit such a small case may take a little looking. Also, check the power requirements for the cpu and graphics card to select the proper power supply. Building a higher-end computer in such a small case is a challenge, particularly when it comes to cooling. And then there's the ram to select....

Adi Head July 20th, 2016 02:54 PM

Hi Battle. Thanks for your reply.

My original intention was to get a laptop.

Then a couple of people who seemed knowledgeable persuaded me that a laptop build doesn't provide sufficient airflow to keep things cool for CPU-intensive processes such as rendering video, and that I would end up spending a lot of $ only to have my machine thermal throttle into oblivion.

I would get a proper desktop, but I need to be more or less mobile. I edit at two locations. I spend approximately 7-8 months in New York and then spend the rest of the year in Asheville, NC.

I'll have a monitor in each location that I intended to be used as a 2nd monitor hooked up to the laptop, so I was thinking of maybe getting a small desktop (mini ITX) that can fit in carry-on luggage instead of a laptop.

I started researching how to build a setup like that, which is the reason I started this thread.

Now someone just told me that I shouldn't be too scared of thermal throttling in laptops, provided I get one that is well built. He said that there are laptops out there with sufficient airflow and that he would go the laptop route rather than the mini ITX in my particular case.

Was wondering if you (or anyone else reading this) might have any input here.

I'm not sure what to do : /

The specs I want in my system:
- 6th Generation i7 processor
- at least 16GB RAM
- nVidia video card with at least 4GB dedicated RAM
- SSD
- USB 3.1-C (gen 2) or Thunderbolt 3 port
- if laptop, FHD IPS non-reflective screen

Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Battle Vaughan July 20th, 2016 09:42 PM

Well, for what it' s worth, I use CS6 on a Sager laptop (about 3 years old now) and am not aware of any cooling issues, although I do have it on a Thermaltake laptop cooling unit (laptop sized fan in a shallow housing that the laptop sits on). The current generation of Sagers have high-end NVidia cards, ssds, i7 level cpu's, you know, all the current goodies that gamers love. But gaming computers have the high-end stuff on them. I do use it with a 2nd monitor attached, find it works out very well.

They build to order, unlike many laptop providers, might take a look at their customization options: A Trusted Brand for Gaming Laptops | Sager Notebooks

Usual disclaimer, happy owner, no other relationship.