Monitor Callibration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 6th, 2002, 09:27 PM   #1
New Boot

Monitor Callibration

Hello Friends!

I've almost finished my NLE setup! I've installed a few new video drives...and just received my GL2 in the mail!

Now for the bad news...
I'm out of money to plop into this thing for a while. I'd love to get an NTSC monitor...but unfortunately I'm stuck previewing on my 27" Phillips TV for the time being.

I've callibrated it to the color bars generated by my GL2 using a tutorial I found at http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm and my blue filter.

Now for the question...
Is there anything I can reference for sharpness? My set has controlls from 0 to 100. Maybe there's a test pattern I can feed to it to set it up?

I know it's not an ideal situation...but it has to do for right now.

Thanks all!
ŽyanbaueŽ
Ryan Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2002, 05:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Ryan, not sure if this is what you're looking for but I like to use it for my 21" Sony computer monitor:

http://www.displaymate.com/

Maybe you can feed it to your TV and calibrate with it? Trying to find an equivalent free program for you, I know of one but can't remember the name of it now...

I'm looking to get a TV for the time being as well, any recommendations?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2002, 11:39 AM   #3
Major Player

I am interested in knowing how people are pumping the picture out to the tv/monitors.

Are you guys using the camera passthrough, or a special breakout box.

I use vegas video which dosn't seem to have a hardware companion which could do video out and i don't like always having to use a camera as a bridge, are there any firewire boxes i could plug into for a video out, or something along those lines.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2002, 12:41 PM   #4
Warden

Most consumer TV sets have the factory preset for sharpness way to high. I recommend turning the sharpness way down. Over sharpening the picture accentuates the noise, or grain, particuarly in low light. I would set the sharpness no higher than 20 or 25 to start. Try it that way for a week or two. Don't be surprised if the image looks strange to you. Most people way over sharpen their images. Give you eyes a little time to adjust to the new sharpness levels. After a week or two you may want to adjust it even lower. The sharpness on my production monitors is almost off.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2002, 04:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Found the free program, it's called Nokia Monitor Test, filename nokia1a.zip. You can grab it here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=960

Really don't know how well these programs translate over for video monitors, the DisplayMate software is probably better suited for that. Then again the Nokia one is free.

Kermie, don't know of anything off-hand. I have yet to try this for DV editing myself.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2002, 03:14 AM   #6
Major Player

I "calibrated" my make-shift NTSC video monitor yesterday to the NTSC color video bars and was amazed at the results. Just from following a web tutorial and using bars generated by my NLE I was able to improve the quality of the video I watch by about 20%! I was very impressed, especially since my "NTSC monitor" is a $100 Funai car-TV with combo VCR. Thanks you guys! I never would have even considered messing with the calibration on my monitor if it wern't for this post!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2002, 10:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Kermie,
I am unfamiliar with it, but supposedly the new Matrox Parahelia card will give you what you want. I use a canopus advc100 transcoder for my analogue imports, and to drive the ntsc monitor.

But then, I use Avid XpressDV, so I am not sure about VV.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC