DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Internal vs. External SSD - which has better price performance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/536293-internal-vs-external-ssd-has-better-price-performance.html)

Natan Pakman October 5th, 2018 07:00 PM

Internal vs. External SSD - which has better price performance?

I am looking at purchasing a new HP laptop that I'll be using for video editing (on Premiere CC), and it comes with a 7200 RPM Sata drive with the option of adding an internal SSD for $50. I am wondering what would be more logical: doing this or going with just one internal SATA and connecting an external (and larger) SSD to use for video editing. I am not too familiar with how SSDs are best used for optimizing the editing process/running the OS. Thoughts?

Pete Cofrancesco October 5th, 2018 07:53 PM

Re: Internal vs. External SSD - which has better price performance?

Both are useful but if I had to choose I would go ssd internal for the os and editing and the spinner for archive. Really depends on your use. If for example you edit on multiple machines then the external ssd is a real advantage. Put your project with the source video on the external drive edit on the laptop in the field then go home or to the office plug the drive into a workstation and there is nothing to copy over. On the other hand you’re only going to edit on the laptop or can’t afford editing software on multiple machines then what’s the point? The inernal will always be faster less expensive.

Natan Pakman October 5th, 2018 11:06 PM

Great, thanks for the info. I'll likely be editing only on this laptop for the time being, so it sounds like an internal SSD will be the best bet.

Rob Cantwell October 6th, 2018 07:11 PM

my setup (Desktop) has two traditional 3.5 inch hard drive which gives storage up to 5 TB and an internal 1 TB drive, this holds the operating system, all my applications and is used as the target drive for ingest and editing.
This is much faster than a spinning HDD you will notice the speed increase of programs and the OS tasks.
I would go with an internal SSD.

Tony McGuire October 7th, 2018 05:47 AM

I use a laptop for video editting and have swaped my spining disk for a SSD and then swaped the dvd writer out and put back in the spinning disk as it will be the one with all video for editting on and storing the ISO on if I have to create a dvd of the video and then I use a usb3 dvd writer. As the dvd writer is been used less and less I though it was a good idea to put a spinning disk in its place.

Donald McPherson October 12th, 2018 12:44 PM

I have 250 SSD and a 500 SSD in place of DVD. And for all the time I use DVD I plug in a USB Blueray burner. I also wonder about a fast USB thumb drive.