Can PC fry firewire port? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 14th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can PC fry firewire port?

Our company uses two PC's to edit and we've had the FX1 we use firewire port fry twice. Could this possibly be a PC problem or is most definetly a camera problem?

Thanks
Jamie Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #2
Major Player

I didn't think the PC sent any power through the firewire cable to the camera, and if that is right, then it's not possible to fry the port on the camera.
So I'd say it could be either a common problem with the camera or it might be the cables are causing damage to the ports.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If the firewire port your going to is a 6pin (versus the 4pin like on your camera) than I would blame the computer, or more importantly the firewire card. The 6pin firewire port (IEEE1394) can output a certain amount of voltage (think its 30). Its possible that the cable is bad, but I’ve never had that happen. I have fried three cameras myself and had to ship them in to get the internal part replaced. All the times I fried them was usually from frustration about something or in a hurry and would power on and off the camera too quickly, or going from vcr mode to camera mode and back too quickly. (you’d think I would learn quicker) I asked quite a few people why exactly this happens, but with know real knowledge. I anyone knows please chime in. I have had a firewire card go bad on me but it was an off brand, its defiantly worth investing in good cables and name brand firewire interface. So the sure way to avoid blown firewire, - connect to a 4pin, or take it slow.
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

yes, for sure.
The firewire on some asus port is known to fry easily any device you could plug in it.
Additionally , i do not recommend to plug device live. do it when at least one device is powered off.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC