How do you output your final/completed video project? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 19th, 2002, 01:38 AM   #1
Major Player

How do you output your final/completed video project?

Do you produce DVD's or do you use VHS tapes . . . or both?

If you complete your completed video project to VHS tape, how do you do it? What is your set up? What hardware/software do you use?

Thank you ahead of time?

Ted

P. S. As you can probably tell by my most recent threads that I started, I'm "green" to the world of digital video. I'm getting my "ducks" in order so that I may start purchasing equipment soon! Thank you for your patience!

Ted
Old December 19th, 2002, 02:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I was in the situation a while back to decide if i should pop out $1500 worth of hardware to get a good VHS facility, or if i would go with $300 for a DVD Burner.

In the end, i decided for the DVD burner as many of my clients (read just about everyone) had access to a DVD player in some way (computer or standalone), and it could double as a backup media for my projects.

/Henrik
Old December 19th, 2002, 02:42 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ed,

Are you a Mac or a PC person? I can tell you that using iDVD is a breeze, and the final product looks very slick. Another good thing about DVD is that you can add extras, if you want...bios, production notes, copy of the script, interviews, etc.

Henrik,

OK, I'll bite...what does "Ars habes non regulam, nisi nefae" mean?
Old December 19th, 2002, 02:45 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : Ed,

Are you a Mac or a PC person? I can tell you that using iDVD is a breeze, and the final product looks very slick. Another good thing about DVD is that you can add extras, if you want...bios, production notes, copy of the script, interviews, etc.

Henrik,

OK, I'll bite...what does "Ars habes non regulam, nisi nefae" mean? -->>>

Unfortunately, I'm a PC person, so it looks like I'm going to miss out on the iDVD. Do you know of any similar PC-based software/hardware?

Henrik - I'm probably going to go DVD too. Also, I'll bite too. What DOES "Ars habes non regulam, nisi nefae" mean?

Ted
Old December 19th, 2002, 05:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

"Ars habes non regulam, nisi nefae"

- Art have no rules, only sins.

Quote i read in english here on this forum actually, and then tried to translate it into latin (which im studying now as a hobby).

Always remember :

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

That which is said in latin sounds profound!

:)

And there are a few good "low-end" DVD softwares for the PC. Ulead has one and Sonic a few. Im mac based myself though so i use DVD Studio =)

/Henrik
Old December 19th, 2002, 02:33 PM   #6
cocobutt

Divx works great

I tape shows for friends occasionally and have found that everyone in the cast ends up wanting a copy of the video. I've found that a 2-pass encoding with Divx 5.02 with the proper bitrate to make it fit on a CD makes a cheap and easy final copy of the video that is of reasonable quality (considering CDs cost $.05).

Edit: I neglected to mention that one must export the audio separately and compress it to mp3 (using lame or another program) with high quality settings in order for the finished proiject to fit on a CD. Once you have the audio and video streams compressed in divx and mp3 respectively, grab a copy of Virtual dub with mp3 capabilities and do a direct stream copy of the two together resulting in the finished file.

Also, I export using EZcleaner (I think) in Premiere to make it readable by people on macs.

If time and budget allows, I would suggest DVD, though discs can get expensive. VHS just seems like a large hassle.

-cocobutt
Old December 20th, 2002, 04:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Actually, in Sweden we have a bunch of perfectly workable DVD-R media for roughly $2 / disc. And thats pretty doable in my economical situation :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC