The ultimate "DV Newbie" - What is Your DV Studio Setup? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 19th, 2002, 02:36 AM   #1
Major Player

The ultimate "DV Newbie" - What is Your DV Studio Setup?

My studio is currently digital/audio-based. Starting with Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 3 (which I currently own) and a solid computer system (at least for digital audio recording), I'm in the process of "going" computer-based digital video. My primary goal is to produce videos to help promote my small company and its live performances.

I just spent the past few hours . . . few days, actually. . . surfing the net to gain as much knowledge as possible before I make some fairly major purchases. So far, I'm certain that I am going to purchase Canon's GL2 camera and a good DVD burner. Aside from that, I'm one confused son-of-a-gun.

Without a doubt, there's a lot of good information out there! Lots of great article reviews for many DV related products (both software and hardware). But, right now, I just want the basics. A camera (which I'm going to be purchasing soon). A computer (which I already own, but am willing to "optimize" for video). Some kind of interphase hardware between camera and computer (I do have an IEEE 1394 card). Software (I already own V. V. 3). A viewing monitor (still need more info). And, finally, some kind of output device to record the finished product (DVD burner/ VHS deck or both???)

Anything to do with audio is basically owned. . . from microphones to mixers to cables to recorders.

Before I shell out lots of $$$ video equipment, I want to make sure I have all of my ducks in order. . . better yet, I want to make sure I have the correct ducks to be ordered before making some major purchases.

The question(s):

What is your video studio set-up? What's computer hardware and software do you use? What type of tripod? What type of camera crane? What type of video deck? What type of lighting fixtures? What type of viewing monitor?

I'm hoping that by requesting your video-based studio set-up, I'll gain some kind of knowledge as to what further equipment I'll need to purchase.

I thank you ahead of time for your time and patience in answering my question(s). It seems that video production is a bit more complicated than audio production.

FYI, I do plan on purchasing a text book that will hopefully serve as a teaching guide. Any suggestions on what book(s) to purchase? :)

Ted

P. S. Oh yea. . . I've got my first paying "video gig" coming up soon! :) I was asked to be part of a project that would create a promotional video focused on recruiting men into the nursing profession. (I'm an ICU/CCU nurse.) Who asked me? My hospital's Director of Nursing. When will I get paid? The following week's paycheck. . . I guess it will be one of my "duties" as a staff nurse; my time spent on this project will be "on the books"! I'm laughing to myself as I write this post. I would never have thought that I would be doing a video ad as a staff nurse!! It sure beats handing out bed pans! ;)

One can even find humor in the healthcare world!!!
Old December 19th, 2002, 05:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Greetings, Ed.

Before we can delve into this, I think you should let us know what your initial investment will be - in terms of dollars.

I was in your shoes a few months ago, and I looked at my purchase as being roughly equal parts camera, lenses & filters; audio & lighting; and editing/production.

I spent about $5K on the camera equipment; about $4K on audio & lighting (recorder, mics, mixer, compressor, lights, stands, gels); and $7K on my NLE. (system, dual monitors, production monitor, software)

My audio setup is overkill for most applications, but I still have some more items on my shopping list. My camera setup could use a few more items, as well (more filters, a telephoto lens, a fisheye lens...).

The bottom line is, how much do you want to spend, initially? That will help the fine folks here steer you in the right direction.
Old December 19th, 2002, 07:11 AM   #3
Major Player

My immediate purchased include the following:

I only plan on minimally upgrading my computer for now. Two things I have in mind: 1) DVD burner and 2) DVD authoring software. Down the road. I want to upgrade my second HDD from 20GB to around 120GB. So. . .for the computer, I'm willing to spend around $500 to $600.

With regards to DV camera. I have plans on purchasing Canon's GL2 (one retail store gave me a price quote of $2300) with the following accessories: XLR adaptor ($170) and tripod (~$100).

In addition, I would like to purchase an adequate video monitor. . . right now I'm eyeing a $170.00 television with SVHS input, RCA video input and RCA audio input. Also, I would like to have a "higher end" consumer VHS video recorder as an option for video tape mixdown $200 to $300.

I pretty much have all of my audio recording gear.

DOWN THE ROAD (hopefully within a year's time), I would like to add the following:

1) Video lighting fixtures (lights and stands) - B & H Video have a package for around $850

2) More "professional" monitor - again B & H Video has a package one for around $800.

3) Crane to mount on the tripod for the camera - $700

So. . . within a year's time, I will probably be looking to spend around $5600 to $6500. Immediate purchases will be around $3000.

Hopefully, within two to three year's time, I'll purchase a second GL2 and a newer computer!!

Hope this will provide an adequate guide in providing advice on setting up a video-based studio. I realize that one can spend mega-bucks here! Right now, I'll just settle for several thousand. Any and all information will be gratefully received!

Ted
Old December 19th, 2002, 07:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

killer deal on NTSC monitors

One of the site sponsers has a killer deal on some JVC monitors, all in the <$400 range. The JVC that I looked at did 825 lines for $395!!!! The other one was 525lines for about $295. If I remember they had the full compliment of I/O connections too. This would be a great time to buy one, only a few left.

Call Brad Bassett at Professional Tape & Communication Supply in Houston, Tx. 281-498-1744, tell him you heard about it on DVI.

Mark

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC