Extending video & pc cables... ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 25th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Extending video & pc cables... ?

Hi all

Are there any issue that come from extending pc, video and audio cables a few metres?
I'm wanting to do a couple of things. One is to run my pc's from a seperate room so as to get rid of all noise for better sound mixes etc... so they'll be in what is basically is a very big cupboard with venting and cooling.

So in my editing room I'll just have the keyboard, mouse, monitors and reference monitor (for colour correcting).

I also want to run a video composite, s-video and digital audio coaxial cables to another seperate viewing lounge which would also be run from the pc's.
I would also like the option of grabbing one pc monitor, keyboard and mouse and taking it to the lounge.

So I was wondering if I need any signal boosters for the s-video or PC monitor if the cables are going to be 25 - 30 feet long?
I will not be using the same feed for both rooms at the same time - so if pc equipment is being used in the lounge, it will not be used in the editing room at the same time.
My pc monitors run off dvi plugs.

My thought was just to run Y cables from the PC and then one end to each room.
Any issues?
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I've run all those types of cables for 25 to 30 feet, without problem and no amplification. But, this was just for monitoring purposes and not to send signals for re-recording. Try it and see what happens.

I've recently discovered that expensive coaxial digital audio cables are unnecessary, as regular audio or video cords work just fine. However, if coaxial digital signals did need high-priced, designated cables, it would be for such longer connecting lengths. You would pay a shocking price for a 30-foot cord of this type.
Old December 27th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Steve.
Like you, this is mainly just for monitoring. Well, I'll make up the cables and see how it goes.
Did you see any sort of degradation in quality? or was it barely / not even noticable?
Old December 27th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Co-axial cabling over long distances is ok... i.e. your TV cable comes in on a coaxial cable over quite a distance, and the signal is still good.

Co-axial comes in different grades (i.e. RG6)... I don't think it matters too much what grade you get at this distance.

2- Cables are expensive usually because of the markup. i.e. a $300 cable probably costs one or two dollars to make. This is based on their business model, where the base price is low so they suck you in. And then they hit you up with the extras like extended warranties. Cables are sort of the same idea.

3- Digital co-axial uses much higher frequencies so you need to make sure you get the right cable... cable with an impedence of 75 ohm I believe?

4- The DVI extension might be tricky, because those really high frequency signals will degrade with length. I think you're fine if you keep the screen's resolution down.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks Glen

the monitor has RGB plugs as well so would that be better than DVI?
the quality of the PC monitor isn't so much of a concern
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Brabender
thanks Glen

the monitor has RGB plugs as well so would that be better than DVI?
the quality of the PC monitor isn't so much of a concern
Do you mean Component jacks when you refer to RGB?
Although Component connectors are color-coded red/green/blue according to the color each carries, "RGB" is a different type of connection, that is declining in usage. There are some monitors that do have RGB however and a few have both. Component and RGB signals are analog and those carried by DVI and HDMI are digital. Usually, the DVI/HDMI connections will deliver a better picture, but some people swear they get better results from Component. If an extra long length was involved and some degradation in the DVI/HDMI signal occurred, then perhaps Component would carry it better. There would be no small or gradual reductions in general picture quality with long digital cables, until the point was reached where image breakdown set in. Then, you might see pixellated blocks and frame freezes.
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #7
Major Player

sorry Steve, I meant for the pc monitor (as apposed to the client monitor)
as in the analogue plug on the back of my pc monitor (which I think is called rgb? vs the digital dvi plug
just wondering if there would be the same issues extending that cable rather than the dvi
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Brabender
I'm wanting to do a couple of things. One is to run my pc's from a seperate room so as to get rid of all noise for better sound mixes etc?
you'd be a lot further ahead in the long run to simply switch your pc over to noiseless technologies like water cooling instead of air cooling.

google up "silent pc".
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Interesting Dan - not being very knowledgeable of PC's, I've never heard of water cooling.
I'll look it up - thanks

I'd still like to run a feed for a pc monitor to a second room if it's possible.
Old December 29th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #10
Inner Circle

silentpcreview.com has lots of info on making your computer quieter.

But the long cables route should work and you know it'll work. Re-doing your computer might set you back a bit.

2- I think the quietest systems available don't use water cooling??
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC