Best equipment for playback editing??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 26th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best equipment for playback editing???

Could someone please help me with this simple question. I want to edit my old films that have been recorded in the past, but don't know what would be the best set up for the money. I've heard that you can use another mini dv camera to use as a playback, but what should I do when I want to edit the tape? Can I hook the playback camera to the PC and then use the software that I have on the computer to edit the film? I know that there are other options out there, but it's pretty costly and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to have the capabilities to edit films. If anyone has any suggestions on the best possible way to save money and be able to edit films please help. Also, if any of you experts have a system that works for you please let me know your setup like the playback camera and so forth. Take care and happy holidays! GOD BLESS!

David Ellis
Active Duty Air Force
Wright-Patterson AFB
David Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi David,

The first thing to do is to determine what format your footage is on. Usually it'll say on the camera whether it shoots miniDV or digital8 or hi8 or DVD or microMV or some other format. miniDV is the most common and is the easiest to edit.

2- To edit the footage, you will need:
A- a computer. Almost anything <4 years old will work.
B- a firewire card, $25 or less. (Not sure how much it costs if you're in the military.) newegg.com, pricegrabber.com, pricewatch.com may be some sites to try. Some people recommend looks for an "OHCI compliant" firewire/IEEE1394 card.
i.e. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815106002

A few but not all computers already have firewire.

C- The 6pin to 4-pin firewire cable, commonly bundled with B.
D- Video editing software. If you have the latest version of windows, windows movie maker is free.
There are also a bunch of options for under $150.
If you have a Mac, get iMovie. It is the easiest video editing program to use and a wonderful program, better than stuff on the PC side. If you don't have a computer, get a cheap Mac (i.e. mac Mini, or a used or refurbished Mac). The machines are easy to use and let you get on with your life.
E- Hard drive space. DV = 13GB/hour. I think most editing applications will tell you have many hours you can capture.

The wonderful thing about firewire is that it's cheap and it lets you capture video to your computer and edit it. You simply:
install the firewire card (fairly easy, read the manual), when the computer is off.

plug in the cable at both ends.

Turn on the camera into VCR mode (not camera mode).

boot up your computer and open/install editing software.

Start capturing from your camera.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Glenn! Happy New year!
David Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC