Maxtor One Touch, user comments??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 1st, 2006, 08:22 AM   #16
Wrangler

Yes, like Greg says it will just be an off-the-shelf IDE drive inside. All those connectors are standardized. You can pull it from the case, find the model number on the nameplate, then go to Maxtor's website and look through the support section to find the correct jumper settings for your PC or Mac.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:25 AM   #17
Regular Crew

What does the 5v provide power to?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:26 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
What does the 5v provide power to?
The IC chips on the interface board and the drive.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Now it doesn't surprise me that it's a typical drive in there but I did think that there would be alot of extra circuitry or whatever permanently attached to it. Even if the interface is the problem, I don't think that this can be fixed because Maxtor doesn't repair these things therefore wouldn't provide parts either. They just replace them to make another $300 from a drive that they already made $300 from. I would hate to find out that was the problem after spending at least $1000 and at most $2600 to recover data from a $300 drive that I could have gotten back myself! I think I'm going to get into the drive and/or recovery business.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:37 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
The IC chips on the interface board and the drive.
Well then what does the 12v provide power to? You guys are really tempting me to break that seal and open this thing.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
I would hate to find out that was the problem after spending at most $2600 to recover data
Yes, if this is the cost, I wouldn't even think about it. I wouldn't hesitate to open it up. And if you find out the IDE drive is faulty, then you can consider getting an estimate for data recovery.

But isn't there a troubleshooting section or a user forum at their site to start with?
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Well then what does the 12v provide power to? You guys are really tempting me to break that seal and open this thing.
The 12VDC runs the drive motor and the fan. If you look at the standard 4 pin power plug on floppy, hard, cd, dvd drives, you will see black, red, and yellow wires. Black is ground, Yellow is +12VDC, and Red is +5VDC. This has been the standard since the first IBM PC came out. Newer drives that are SATA interface have different power connectors, but I guarantee you do not have a SATA drive in that Maxtor enclosure.

You can find all this information online.

-gb-
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:47 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyssios Chalkias
Yes, if this is the cost, I wouldn't even think about it. I wouldn't hesitate to open it up. And if you find out the IDE drive is faulty, then you can consider getting an estimate for data recovery.

But isn't there a troubleshooting section or a user forum at their site to start with?
If I open it, no matter what I will be out of $300 because it will void the warranty and I will have to buy a new drive either way. I don't care about the drive as much as the data. Even if it was only the interface and other than the jumper, how would I connect it to my laptop PC?
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:56 AM   #24
Wrangler

Actually, if the drive is OK you can buy a do-it-yourself enclosure and pop it inside. I think that will cost more like $100, maybe even less....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:06 AM   #25
Regular Crew

What I would do if it was about important data without backup: take out the IDE drive, get it into a friend's or colleague's desktop PC or external enclosure.

If it is OK, I would immediately backup my files and then get a USB/FW combo external enclosure for 50-60$, end of story.

If it is bad, I would get an estimate for data recovery, consider if the cost is worth it and decide further.

But there's the risk of not getting the data back and voiding the warranty as well...
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:16 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I spoke with someone from a very popular Maxtor dealer today and he said that as far as Maxtor drives, the most models that he is seeing issues and/or failure with are those that exceed 250 GB on a single drive. He knows that it costs more but recommends at least two drives of at the most 250 GB for better performance and more reliability. He also agreed that there are plenty of users with higher capacity Maxtor single drives that have had no issues and that every maker has its share of issues.

I am going to give Maxtor one more chance. I have ordered my warranty replacement and bought another new drive to have a real back up, one that stores only. I am going to take my bad drive to a local computer store and have them remove the internal drive and see if the problem is the interface or if its the actual drive. If the drive is fine I'll have them to recover my files and transfer them over to the new drive. I'll be sure to post the results. Thanks for the help!
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Here are some images of the drive when it was removed from the case for anyone who hasn't seen how it works. If the interface board was found to be the problem and the drive is fine, it seems to me that Maxtor would offer a replacement of only the interface board because all of this is simply removing a few screws and unplugging a couple of cables. Alot of time and money could be saved for the end user if it was done this way.

Drive Image 1

Drive Image 2

Drive Image 3

Drive Image 4

Drive Image 5
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Here are some images of the drive when it was removed from the case for anyone who hasn't seen how it works. If the interface board was found to be the problem and the drive is fine, it seems to me that Maxtor would offer a replacement of only the interface board because all of this is simply removing a few screws and unplugging a couple of cables. Alot of time and money could be saved for the end user if it was done this way.

Drive Image 1

Drive Image 2

Drive Image 3

Drive Image 4

Drive Image 5
Pretty much just like I described to you earlier in this thread, huh. In pictures 4 and 5, you can see the master/slave/cs jumper between the data cable and the power plug. Very likely that the drive is okay.

-gb-
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Pretty much just like I described to you earlier in this thread, huh. In pictures 4 and 5, you can see the master/slave/cs jumper between the data cable and the power plug. Very likely that the drive is okay.

-gb-
Yep, it sure is. Because of yours and others' comments, I decided to hold off from sending it out and spending a ton for what could be a simple plug in and copy session. Now, if I knew it was the drive, that would be different. Maxtor even said that with a majority of the returns that they get, there is nothing wrong with the drive. I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks!
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #30
Wrangler

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC