Placing Still Images into Widescreen PAL Video for Time Lapse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 01:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Placing Still Images into Widescreen PAL Video for Time Lapse

G'day all,

I'm going to be doing some time lapse photography with my Canon Digital SLR & have a few questions on how to achieve this....

Some quick info:
-Using Canon 300D/Rebel Digital SLR
-Photoshop CS2 & Adode Premiere v7.0
-PAL 16:9 Widescreen will be the output

1: Do I set my camera colour space to Adobe RGB or sRGB?

2: Is it best to set the image size in the camera to Large Jpeg 3072 x 2048 or Medium Jpeg 2048 x 1360? Both resolutions should be enough even if I do HD time lapses later on but is there any benefit when resizing in Photoshop?

3: Obviously I need to crop & change the aspect ratio of the images I shoot later on in post. Is it easier to crop the centre out of the SLR image or cropping only the bottom or only the top? In other words, how should frame my camera when shooting so its easier to crop in Photoshop later?

3: Now I need to set up a action in Photoshop to resize, crop etc the images. I'll obviously need to change the actual size & aspect ratio as the SLR images are 1.5:1 whereas I need 1.77:1 (16:9). How do i do all this? Do I create 1024 x 576 iomages in Photoshop or do I create a 720 x 576 using the different pixel aspect ratio for PAL widescreen?

4: Do I need to change any of the displayed colours since its being outputted to PAL TV? I believe there are 0-256 colours but TV only shows 7-?. Is this true for PAL or only NTSC?

Well hopefully that should cover it, once I have the images cropped, resized, etc I should be able handle the rest myself in Premiere.

Any help or advice will be appreciated....
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Major Player

anyone?...
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Trustee

G'day to you, too!

1. Use RAW and output to the PAL/SECAM color space in ACR.
2. Either way you have much more information than you need (for DV). Personally I would just shoot RAW.
3a. It's better to use the centre as that is where the lens is sharpest.
3b. I don't know how Premiere handles pixel aspect ratio, but you can help yourself by reading the "Saving images for use in video" section in the CS2 help file. Plus there are actions for converting files for use in video! Just go to the Actions tab and click on the little arrow. At the bottom of the list you should see the "Video Actions" set.
4. You took care of that in step one. For NTSC you would convert to the NTSC color space.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC