Consensus on Windows Media Player 9? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 16th, 2003, 03:00 AM   #1
Wrangler

Has anyone installed Windows Media Player 9?

I notice that Windows Media Player 9 is now available from the Microsoft update site for Windows 2000 users. Have any other Windows 2000 users tried it out? Is it worth upgrading, or will it hassle my system? Any new exiciting features/capabilities? For those of you running a firewall like ZoneAlarm, does it contain spyware, i.e., is it constantly trying to send data over an internet connection, or does it ask for server rights? How much will it harass my GUI, changing settings, associations, adding icons, etc.?

Have any DVStorm users encountered problems after installing Windows Media 9?

Thanks in advance to any who post their feedback.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 07:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Robert,

I've had the beta version running on my W2k machine for a while now and haven't had any problems at all.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #3
Major Player

I hate WiMP now that it's bloatware.. I was much happier with the one that came with 98 way back when. It was so simple and easy-going on the memory.
Old January 16th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm using it

on my XP Pro box (sorry I'm not running Win2K anymore) with zero issues.
Old January 16th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

You might also try out ZoomPlayer if you are on PC...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #6
Major Player

W2k SP3 and MP9.

Two weeks and no problems........problems................problems.

Just kidding works well though not a big supporter of MP.

Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm not a big fan on Media Player myself, but apparently Microsoft is doing some amazing things with the Media Player 9 technologies. Just recently, you might have heard about a joint venture between MS and BMW where they were outfitting 25 theaters with a special digital projector for a special digital broadcast screening of a BMW short film and the doc. feature Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

A theater down the street from me, in Orlando, was selected as one of the 25. Regrettably I was unable to attend, but I hear it went well. And the whole thing was based on MS's Windows Media Player 9 technologies.

The moral? If MS is able to create 'screen-able' broadcast digital video with it, it won't be long before everyone's using it.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Windows Media player 9 supports up to 1280x720 and 5.1 surround audio at up to 24/96 resolution. All without paying those expensive fees to Dolby, DTS and the other DVD patent holders. Great potential option for Independent film makers.

this is a case where MS uis actually being the good guy, at least for consumers.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 04:36 AM   #9
Wrangler

Now that it's been around for a while, have we come to a consensus as to whether Windows Media Player 9 is annoyware or not?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Concensus on WMP9

I loaded up the beta on day one and moved to the release version in January. I've also put two other users on it and on the whole I'm happy with it (and with the encoder too).
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I use it quite extensively with no issues. Converted almost all my CDs to version 9 WMA (averaging about half the size of MP3) and use the encoder to do screen capture training videos.
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I recently updated my notebook (P4, WinXP) to MediaPlayer9.

I don't have the specific details, but back when I was using the previous version on my main edit box (P3, Win2K), someone passed along info to me that the previous MediaPlayer had a setting in some INI file that was defaulted to sending back info on what file (or URL) you were playing. I'm over 20k miles away from that box, so I'm sketchy on how I found it, but I DO remember digging up the parameter and it indeed was there!

I got a chuckle out of installing MP9 because THIS TIME it asked me something about sending file info to Microsoft (or wherever).

As for harrassing the system or changing stuff without permission, it's been a good doggie in that regard. I always select "Custom Install" for any software whenever available and was able to maintain control over what MP9 has access to.

I've been using MediaPlayer9 to play MP3s and WMV streams regularly. I'll use MusicMatch only to convert my CDs to MP3s, but that's about it since it's always nagging me to upgrade to MusicMatch Plus.

MP9 can point to a webpage that shows some third-party plug-ins available for sale. One of the more intruiging ones is from InterVideo that enables MediaPlayer9 to play DVDs (instead of using a seperate program) Anyone have experience with this and can comment on whether it works as advertised? (smooth integration, no hiccups)

tia,
Carter
CarterTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:26 AM   #13
Capt. Quirk

I tried downloading Mediaplayer 9, but couldn't. It seems that I didn't have the authority to install things on my machine. I think I have convinced everybody concerned, that I DO have the authority to install whatever I like, and just installed the new version.

It works pretty nice :)
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #14
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Taylor : I hate WiMP now that it's bloatware.. I was much happier with the one that came with 98 way back when. It was so simple and easy-going on the memory. -->>>

Alex, you probably still have that player installed (every Windows since 98 still has it, and just isn't on the start menu). Look on your hard drive in Program Files->Windows Media Player for the file "mplayer2.exe". It's the classic old media player, and it integrates with pretty much all the same codecs the new one does. No fancy skins or net connected bloat. Unfortunately no playlists either, but for a single file player it works great.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #15
Trustee

It seems ok. In fact it seems better when handling media libraries of thousands of songs like I have - it's more responsive. One thing though is that after upgrading from the previous version, winamp started to do funny things when i used it for playing MP3's. I am not getting skips and jitters when playing through Winamp so I just stick with WMP now (I always hated winamps playlist management anyway).

Cheers
Aaron

BTW: Does anyone know if there is a way to make WMP add ogg vorbis files to your library. Can't find anyway to add a filetype.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC