Dropped frames again at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 28th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dropped frames again

I need some advice ASAP. I've had my same PC for about two years. I have added a larger HD and maxed out the memory. For whatever reason I have developed a severe problem of dropping frames. I've tried all the fixes I've been tought but nothing seem's to be working. Is it possible the editing program has somehow developed a glitch? I use Vegas 5. Could that be possible? The film belongs to a friend and he wants them converted to DVD. They are your standard digital 8 tapes. I've had problems in the past but they were all solved with simple solutions and suggestions. Anyone have any idea's?
RAM is maxed
HD is 160GB
Defragged
Shut down all other active programs
Deleted all old video etc
Backed up all my music and deleted all songs
I have no clue.
Jason Gatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Did you try another firewire cable?

Do you have SMART enabled for your hard drive? (Self diagnostic hard drive feature in most modern hard drives) Often, the default BIOS setup setting on motherboards is to have SMART disabled, so you won't see it reported if the hard drive is starting to develop problems and trying to report them. If SMART is disabled in setup, I'd enable it. You might run a thorough ScanDisk, especially if SMART was disabled (takes forever, so do it overnight).

I'd give WinDV a try. It's a freeware DV capture utility that buffers input (lots of payware doesn't do this). It might overcome the problem (in the meantime), even if the underlying problem is still there.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Change Firewire inputs

I have problems when I use the firewire port on my motherboard, when I change to the port on my Audigy card everything works fine, 2 hours with no dropped frames. This generally gets me if I have moved something and not used my system for a couple of months.

TwoBit Digital Inc.
Video and Computer Geek
P4 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, Matrox RT.x100, dual head display
Devlyn Hukowich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC